Why become a member? ×

Scratches, "Dings" and imperfections..

SimonEdward

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1506702436' post='3380562']
My go to Thunderbird has a good few marks and dings. I bought it with 99% of them on (amazingly absent from the pics). It doesn't bother me as it means I can just use it without worrying about it. I have come very close recently to buying an EB4, and may well still do, but I would worry about gigging it for fear of damaging it. So I fear it could become a bit of a show princess.
[/quote]

I gigged my EB4 a few hours after receiving it, I can't get too precious about what are simply tools to achieve an end.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506787692' post='3381143']

I gigged my EB4 a few hours after receiving it, I can't get too precious about what are simply tools to achieve an end.
[/quote]
It was reading your reviews of the Thunderbird that tipped me over the edge to buy one and your reviews of the EB4 have nearly done the same. Just can't decide between the two finishes at the moment. I am not doing enough at the moment to really use two a massive amount and the Thunderbird has just become my go to bass but the EB4 seems a very tempting addition all the same. The precision hasn't been touched since I bought the Thunderbird and is for sale now.

I had no idea my words had so much influence! I was gigging my Epiphone Thunderbird last night (classic iv pro, with Babicz bridge and Gotoh tuners) and it felt and sounded as good as anything I've played and better than most. The EB4 is with a local guitar tech for a proper set up, looking forward to getting it back!

I have made sure I rotate through my Fenders when I play at home, just to stop them feeling neglected! I usually take a Jazz or a Precision as back to gigs, but haven't played one live since I got my first Thunderbird.

I kinda like it when it gets another genuine road ding. I wont go out my way to ding it but as long as any new dings don't change the playability or sound they are all welcome.

I changed the tuners on my fender recently which negated the need for a new string tree so now its got a few holes showing where the old hardware went. I really like they way that looks. My other new bass however I like to keep as new looking as possible in case I decide its not for me and needs moving on.

If I decide after another 4-6 months its staying then from that moment on all dings are welcome.

Most of my gear is secondhand, so it's all got a range of scratches and knocks anyway.

But they're working instruments, not museum pieces.

I'm quite careful with them, and I get a bit annoyed with myself if i notice I've put a major ding in something (especially if I'm doing something stupid at the time) but i play them hard and gig them all regularly so it's to be expected.

As long as the playing surfaces, electronics and moving parts etc are all sound and working well, then I'm happy.

My MIM Jazz is a bit of a test bed for upgrades. I got it in less than perfect condition and I'm ok with it getting the odd knock, it's solid but it's been through the wars including a very fine drill bit going straight through the headstock.
My precision was perfect until my drummer knocked it off its stand and it has a tiny thumbnail looking dint in it from a cymbal. Complete accident and no real harm done.
If my fretless Kramer on the other hand tool a knock I would be livid. It was my 18th birthday present, the only current bass I have that I owned from new. The back of the neck has changed colour over the years from sunlight and hand sweat but the metallic paint finish is perfect. Gigging it this weekend I was conscious of my sweaty arm digging in to the side of the bass...

I can get quite anal about dings.....but mainly if it's a pristine bass and especially if I'm not convinced it's a keeper. My main workhorse is a MM US Sub which has the 'indestructable' finish but it still manages to get headstock chips; it gigs weekly so I look at it as honourable collateral damage!

I look after my gear, but don't worry about it too much. IME no matter how careful I am at some point my instrument of choice will pick up a ding or other mark. When it finally gets to the point of looking too shabby I'll get it resprayed, at which point I can also consider a change of colour scheme.