Why become a member? ×

Scratches, "Dings" and imperfections..

SimonEdward

Nope, not the name of mine or some one else's record (as far as I know) B)

How do we feel when our Bass suffers (?) a "Ding" or scratch or something else happens to it?

Is is worse when we don't realise how it happened, or who dunnit (!) and it took a while to notice..?

Or we just accept it as part and parcel of owning a Bass, and tell ourselves it looks 'road worn' ETC

Has it ever made you think twice about selling a Bass? or tried a DIY job with undesired consequences!

I already knew about one of my "Dings" ~ on the front face too :rolleyes:

But there are two others which have been acquired (at some point); found when I was re-stringing and cleaning today: -

("Ding" one)

("Dings" two and three).

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1506698601' post='3380529']
As long as it works, I don't care.

I'm a little different with my bicycle. It hurts when it gets scratched (mainly from being hit with a small rock from the road). When the scratch is already there - doesn't bother me.
[/quote]

Same.

The more dings and scratches it has the better. It makes the bass lighter lol

I just put the first ding on my Jap Mustang. I reversed my backside into it on a really cramped stage and it went over into the drums. Under gig lighting I now see a perfect extra dot between the 5th & 7th markers on the side of the neck. That isn't annoying at all, lol.
At the end of the day it's just a guitar. These things happen.

My go to Thunderbird has a good few marks and dings. I bought it with 99% of them on (amazingly absent from the pics). It doesn't bother me as it means I can just use it without worrying about it. I have come very close recently to buying an EB4, and may well still do, but I would worry about gigging it for fear of damaging it. So I fear it could become a bit of a show princess.

I hate it...but I am quite precious with my gear.

I had a pristine Ritter Cora and a GB Rumour which were both beautiful - both practically lived in their cases - rarely coming out, hardly ever going out. Both were expensive basses.

I do have less expensive basses which I'm less precious about but still don't like them acquiring scars - they always seem to add up to £50 discount when the time comes to sell them.

[size=1][i]....Just noticed this is my 5,000th post[/i][/size]

Edited by TheGreek

Worst thing for me is the first ding put in it... by someone else. I have what I thought was a 100% perfect USA Standard Jazz Fretless that I wanted to sell, then i noticed a ding on the back when I got it out of the case, just after my nephew left town. Can't prove a thing, but it was the perfection that made the sale worth my while and I'm not happy about it (sound of teeth grinding). My stingray OTOH is evidence of just how hard you have to bash a bass with a poly finish to really damage it. It's 27 years old and although there's a few minor dents (I didn't even own a stand for the first 10 years), It'd never be considered roadworn, let alone a relic. It toppled, through 90 degrees, onto my pedalboard last week and I can't even see a mark where it hit. Dings to the headstock bother me for some reason.

If I buy new or a pristine used instrument and I put a ding on it, I'd be annoyed with myself. If I buy a used instrument with a few marks I tend to be a lot more relaxed with it. I still look after my gear, don't gig and I clean it down after each time it's played, but I don't lose any sleep over marks. They're made to be played.

I`m careful with my instruments, but if a ding or knock happens, then it`s genuine road-wear/battle-scarring for a gigged instrument. I`ve never minded buying used instruments with wear & tear on them either, playability and sound matter more to me. In fact on a used bass I`m quite happy to see some dings, speaks to me that someone thought the instrument was good enough to gig regularly. I suppose that`s the glass half-full view, the half-empty view being they thought it was a rubbish instrument that didn`t deserve looking after.