Why become a member? ×

sax experts please???

benroch

Hi guys,
I was bought a sax a number of years ago by my parents, i gave it my best shot but still couldn't play it even after everything i tried.
I was wondering what it would be worth as it has not scratches or dings and has been used very little.
All i can tell you about the sax is it was made by a company called focus and its a beginner saxophone.
If its not worth much then ill probably just hang on to it but if its worth more than 300 or so pounds then i would be inclined to sell it.
Thanks,
Ben

Edited by benroch

[quote name='benroch' timestamp='1506760968' post='3380905']
Hi guys,
I was bought a sax a number of years ago by my parents, i gave it my best shot but still couldn't play it even after everything i tried.
I was wondering what it would be worth as it has not scratches or dings and has been used very little.
All i can tell you about the sax is it was made by a company called focus and its a beginner saxophone.
If its not worth much then ill probably just hang on to it but if its worth more than 300 or so pounds then i would be inclined to sell it.
Thanks,
Ben
[/quote]

Must be worth a Tenor ?

Good morning, Ben...

I'm not familiar with that particular manufacturer, but I'd guess that it's a student sax, very probably Chinese-made. This is not necessarily a bad thing; they make some very good beginner's saxes. The starting price for these models, new, would be around £250-£300, so, if yours is of this ilk, its second-hand price would be less, maybe as much as half of that. This is only rule-of-thumb, of course, as I've not seen the instrument in question.
If you decide to keep it, I would highly recommend finding a good sax tutor, as it's an instrument which beggars very little improvisation in its techniques, and a good teacher from the outset is vital for decent results. The disciplines involved are, however, very rewarding, if the initial effort is put in.
Hope this helps; subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=yQzRWZ-3CcX6aea8v_gG&q=focus+saxophones&oq=focus+saxophones&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.12..33i160k1.33301.37951.0.41194.14.12.0.0.0.0.431.2206.1j7j0j2j1.11.0.dummy_maps_web_fallback...0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..7.6.794...30i10k1j0i13i30k1j0i8i13i30k1j0i7i30k1j0i30k1j0i8i30k1.0.Jq7p7e56kc0#imgrc=PpKy-ri97JnZTM:

The make is probably this one. At $249 for a new tenor, probably best hang on to it and maybe give it another go at learning.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1506761548' post='3380909']
Please tell me I'm not the only one to have misread this thread title! :lol:
[/quote]
[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1506761961' post='3380914']
Yeah. It's still early. I thought "I wouldn't say expert, more experienced hobbyist"
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1506768572' post='3380973']
Me too, weekend warrior at best :(
[/quote]
Yep, I'm another one off to Specsavers in the morning... Although my own description would be I'm more the enthusiastic amateur. Used to be quite good at solos during my teenage years, but that's a whole different website :D

Has it seized up? If not, then make sure it doesn't - do you have a pad-saver or just left as is in the case? If its in the case, its probably better left out if ever its played, so it doesn't accumulate water in it. And the linkages would need occasional oiling etc. I am going to guess its lacquered, which is easier to maintain but more difficult to repair if ever it needed it.

If its a beginner's model, which it sounds like it is, then its £150-200.