Why become a member? ×

Mental Preparation for Gigs

cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1506767416' post='3380959']
Last night I got to the gig and I was really in the mood to play, and I played much better than I usually do, and really enjoyed it.

I'm hoping others are like this and have developed a technique for getting into the mood to play?

[/quote]

Likewise, I occasionally turn up at the gig not being in the right frame of mind despite usually looking forward to it for days before hand. Those are the gigs where I feel like I'm playing with oven gloves on too :blush:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]There's no real sagely advise that I can offer unfortunately. What I do find that helps to varying degrees is to have an hour or so playing along to some of the set before the gig, focusing on the more complex stuff or the tracks that I get more of a buzz from playing. And take an afternoon nap too if you can squeeze one in, I have an under active thyroid gland so my energy levels can be a bit erratic and I find that resting up beforehand really helps me get through the night. But sometimes life gets in the way, job, family etc so you just have to turn up and soldier on even when you're not in the mood. [/size]

I'm lucky enough to have never been nervous about playing. I suppose it's because I don't think too much about it beforehand. When I get in the car I become a musician on the way to a gig - that's about the extent of my preparation, a mental switch away from the day job and family life. Arrive, set up, have a shandy. Eventually it's time to step up and do your stuff.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1506840507' post='3381377']

This is pretty much the way we work too. However, as we play a lot of weddings it's very common for us to be sitting outside ready to start setting up whilst everything inside over runs. We then get the nod from the organisers to set up only to find they want us on in half an hour lol. That's why weddings command a bigger fee but that adds just a tiny bit more pressure.
[/quote]

Is there ever a verbal or written contract that would say;

"the band will require entrance to the hall 1.5 hours prior to the performance to set up equipment" ?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506872076' post='3381655']

Is there ever a verbal or written contract that would say;

"the band will require entrance to the hall 1.5 hours prior to the performance to set up equipment" ?

Blue
[/quote]

Yep, we have that. Mostly in place for weddings, when the organisers don’t realise they don’t need the guitarist running through his pedal settings during the father of the bride’s speech!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1506781904' post='3381097']
I'm a drummer. After several years of 'pro' playing, I asked a friend, a drum teacher, if he could give me lessons. When we got down to it, and after auditioning my playing, he told me he didn't see much point in going over technical aspects, but instead set up a programme of breathing and relaxation/posture sessions instead. The difference astounded me; after a few weeks, I was much more able to get 'into the zone', simply by going through some elementary routines, not dissimilar to yoga, but without the meditation stuff. I should perhaps say that, from birth, I have had duff breathing (early tuberculosis...) and stamina issues (duff adrenal glands...), and these 'lessons' enabled me to make the most of what limited capacities I had in these matters. I'd suggest, therefore, seeing if there's something other than technique that you could look for in a good drum teacher, focusing on relaxation and posture rather than rudiments. Any mileage in such an approach..?
Hope this helps. B)
[/quote]

I often ask drummers to look at my technique. I know 3 or 4 world class players and they all say what I'm doing is fine, but that I need to relax more. I've done a bunch of Benny Greb's breathing exercises, not thought to do them before playing, I think this combined with warming up with stick in the back of the van might work. I've only ever done that before when I've been nervous, which is quite rare for me, but I might try doing it before each gig. I have one tonight I'm not really looking forward to so I'll report back tomorrow

[quote name='Tony p' timestamp='1506860975' post='3381541']
If I'm not driving it's turn up, drink a beer, set up, get another beer and play. I hate hanging about before a gig for too long, our bodhran player and general organiser starts having kittens if we're not there 2 hrs beforehand too....
[/quote]

Hah, I've seen you guys play, and your bodhran player has been on stage with us! Your band is ace :)

From my perspective as a bassist,I think knowing the material inside out and knowing your gear helps. I find the more confident I am with the material the more chilled I am.
Once at the venue, getting a good bass sound from the moment I plug in is always a bonus. Or a good sound check when the band overall sounds good. This puts me in a very good mental state.
I dont like to get anywhere too early if it means hanging around for hours. Unless its important to do otherwise I find an hour prior to playing is good.
For me the more I am prepared with material the more relaxed I am. The usual stick in the spokes awaits me at the gig so the better I know the material the better I can cope with what is thrown at me at the gig. Usually other band members lack or prep or sonic issues that are beyond my control.

"Quote"

Hah, I've seen you guys play, and your bodhran player has been on stage with us! Your band is ace :)

Thanks, I'm sure maty has sneaked on to every stage he's seen this summer,
We seem to have been at lots of the same festies but on different days, the only time I've caught you was when we supported you and under a banner in Worcester, you lot rocked, didn't realise you were the drummer tho, I did say hi to your bass player and had a natter with mr tranter. Edited by Tony p

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1506937895' post='3382048']
From my perspective as a bassist,I think knowing the material inside out and knowing your gear helps. I find the more confident I am with the material the more chilled I am.
Once at the venue, getting a good bass sound from the moment I plug in is always a bonus. Or a good sound check when the band overall sounds good. This puts me in a very good mental state.
I dont like to get anywhere too early if it means hanging around for hours. Unless its important to do otherwise I find an hour prior to playing is good.
For me the more I am prepared with material the more relaxed I am. The usual stick in the spokes awaits me at the gig so the better I know the material the better I can cope with what is thrown at me at the gig. Usually other band members lack or prep or sonic issues that are beyond my control.
[/quote]

Agreed,

Knowing the material like the back of your hand and having your gear in check helps a lot. But like you say, there are things out of our control.

Blue

I had low expectations tonight, but I always want to play well. I had intended to have half an hour in the van breathing, thinking about songs in the set, and warming up with sticks. Unfortunately I got distracted by an absolutely inspirational drummer in the band before us. He clearly had some kind of disability but that was nothing compared to the passion he had for thrashing the kit, and his timing was near perfect. I was grinning for their whole set just watching this guy

So then when I got on stage I was still in that great frame of mind, didn't hear any of my minuscule errors, and once again everything was easy and I played really well. Maybe I'll try to remember this guy every time I'm about to go on

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1507020518' post='3382699']...
So then when I got on stage I was still in that great frame of mind, didn't hear any of my minuscule errors, and once again everything was easy and I played really well. Maybe I'll try to remember this guy every time I'm about to go on
[/quote]

There's probably someone in the crowd watching [i]you [/i]getting the same 'buzz' from your own playing..! ;)

Most of my gigs are at least an hour's drive away and I take advantage of that time to get into the right mood for the gig.Since the band members are in different areas we all travel alone and that gives me the chance to mentally run through the sets and individual songs without distractions and make sure I know the material.I am also the frontman/MC for our band so I go over the intros/comments/humour aloud.I may look pretty silly to other drivers as I babble or sing to an empty car as I'm driving but it really helps doing things aloud.I suppose people just assume I'm on the phone hands free.By the time I get to the gig I'm pumped and ready to play and feel more confident that I really know the material.
This may not be a good idea in heavy traffic but up here in the boonies the highways are lightly travelled and it works for me.

• 7 months later...

Interesting thread, which I’ve only just seen.

I take gig preparation seriously, as I find it crucial to get in the zone before I play. Particularly if it’s a Friday gig and I’ve been at work. Recently I had to drive to Manchester and then on to Bradford (from my home in Oxfordshire) on a Friday. I got home at six and we were meeting at the venue at seven to load in. I was knackered and had to really psych myself up to get in the right frame of mind when in all honesty I’d have been happy to spend the night on the sofa with a few cans. I don’t ever want to be half-arsed at a gig so I need to get my head in the game. Luckily Friday gigs aren’t the norm.

The preparation starts for me when we rehearse, usually a couple of days before the gig. If we have a good rehearsal I always feel motivated, if we have a bad rehearsal I feel even more motivated! I don’t get nervous for a pub gig (I might do for larger gigs), we’ve been doing this for too long to worry unduly about making any mistakes. I have a Spotify playlist of all the songs we play, which I play loud in the car the day of the gig, which psychs me up. That adds a bit of excitement to the prospect of playing which helps get the adrenaline and expectation going. I want to enjoy playing a gig; if not then it’s pointless doing it, and it reflects in a bad performance.

At the gig I don’t drink. Mainly because I feel that even one pint takes the edge off, also I’m usually driving, although I might sometimes allow myself a celebratory pint and a rare cigarette for a treat if all’s gone well. I’ve never felt that gigging is a chore, but on the occasions I’ve found myself feeling less than enthusiastic about it I just remind myself that I’m in a band, playing gigs - I’m lucky.

Going to the correct venue always helps , unlike my band on Sat night  ,I pulled up to British Legion club turns out it was completely the wrong town & not even a British Legion Club ...other members not being organised makes me anxious ,saying things like can we play this in a different key tonight & bringing a second guitar on the basis that it's pre tuned for a certain song & its still in it's case & not tuned but they swap guitars anyway?

Edited by Kevin Dean
  • Like 1

Ron's answer to the question at 45:59 reminds me of a passage in Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance where Robert Pirsig wrote that when on the road he would check the bike over every morning . He had done it so many times that just the act of laying out his tool roll on the seat had become the ritual that readies his mind to see the state of the machine as it really is .

With peace of mind gained about the equipment he is then able to enjoy the moment .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaveFry said:

With peace of mind gained about the equipment he is then able to enjoy the moment .

I used to check my gear rarely. Until one day I had a strap button pull out of the bass mid gig. If I’d have checked I’d probably have felt it was loose. I always check it now!

On 5/21/2018 at 22:59, Kevin Dean said:

Going to the correct venue always helps

Yep. There are 2 gigs, Blues On The Farm in Chichester and Blues At The Farm in Essex. You're in big trouble if you mix those up. . . . . and I know someone who has!

I always like to be well prepared for gigs. There's so many things you can't control, but having gear that all works, a bag with the right leads, plugs, spares etc at least ensures the stuff you can control is correct. 

I tend to drive to all my gigs preferably by myself, so I can do vocal warm ups by singing along in the car. 

Once im at the venue I have quite a methodical way of setting up PA and the rest of the gear, tuning up, soundchecking etc, which channels my nervous energy. 

Once that's done I hate having to hang about to start, as I'm already mentally in the zone by then and just like a coiled spring. 

Once the first song has begun im happy.