Why become a member? ×

TC Sub 'n' Up vs Mini Sub 'n' Up

radiophonic

I want an octaver. The TC looks like a versatile option. Board space is a bit of a premium. As far as I can see, the main drawback of the mini is that it only does toneprint, so there's no manual switching between mono and poly available. Plus the lack of -2 control on the front. Is that it? The latter seems pretty superfluous on bass, unless you're actually trying to blow your speakers. I know that someone on here just sold a full size one to go mini. What's the verdict since there's practically nothing in it pricewise.

That would be me and I’ll be pleased to give you a verdict once I’ve had some time with it, but in short:

I never needed to switch modes once I built a killer TonePrint
I set the dry at full on and disabled the knob altogether
I tweaked the EQ of the -1 octave to make it tighter rather than subby
I did the same for the -2 but in use, I never needed it given that this pedal tracks lower than anything else I’ve ever tried.

So, the Mini is just as good - it’s running the same DSP. I also love that the knobs are tweakable to. I’ll probably go with Sibob’s idea of mapping the dry mix to a drive, then for me turning the -1 octave in to a -1/-2 octave blend (like a pickup blend) then figure out blending in the on board effects. Possibly the chorus.

TC, you’re pretty awesome.

Hey Dood. I think you've just nailed exactly why TC are only 50% awesome. If they were truly awesome, you be able to share that toneprint with me rather than describing it! Toneprint: So near. Yet so far. I'm pretty sure you're right though. I have a Flashback toneprint that does exactly what I need and and I cant remember the last time i used anything else. Like stretched tape. It's just perfect with a volume pedal for harmonising with our singer. Very voicelike / theremin-ey. I could probably trade that pedal in for a mini. Someone on here has just punted me a full size one though, so if the price is right I may go full size since there's nothing in it money-wise buying new.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1506803649' post='3381285']
Hey Dood. I think you've just nailed exactly why TC are only 50% awesome. If they were truly awesome, you be able to share that toneprint with me rather than describing it! Toneprint: So near. Yet so far. I'm pretty sure you're right though. I have a Flashback toneprint that does exactly what I need and and I cant remember the last time i used anything else. Like stretched tape. It's just perfect with a volume pedal for harmonising with our singer. Very voicelike / theremin-ey. I could probably trade that pedal in for a mini. Someone on here has just punted me a full size one though, so if the price is right I may go full size since there's nothing in it money-wise buying new.
[/quote]

Yes, you have a good point there! I mean, I’d have been happy to. Even if I pulled my finger out and did a screen print of the settings that’d be a start but a faff. I feel sure there must be a way (a quick decompile of complex hex based files and a brain surgergeon level of programming expertise and everything’s ya mom’s brother Rob)

I like the small footprint of the Mooer, but I think I'm going to take the dood approach for now. Get a sound I want with the SnU and maybe port it to a mini at a later date. It wouldn't surprise me if TC were to bring out an updated version soon anyway, now the flashback and HoF have added MASH - I can see MASH control for bringing in modulation on the wet signal working, for example. The minis will surely get MASH at some point too.

Edited by radiophonic

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1506803649' post='3381285']
I think you've just nailed exactly why TC are only 50% awesome. If they were truly awesome, you be able to share that toneprint with me rather than describing it! Toneprint: So near. Yet so far. I'm pretty sure you're right though.
[/quote]

This is why I'm waiting for Source Audio to release an octaver/pitch shifter. They already have the infrastructure in place for sharing patches via the Neuro app for iOS and Android and its tweakability is easily on par with TC's TonePrint, if not better.

I'm massively impressed with the flexibility of the S'n'U Mini, that said, I'm only using it as an octave up pedal. On the sub knob, I've changed that to increase/decrease upper octave drive, and I still have the clean blend as a clean blend....I may change that as Dood has suggested above as I do tend to run the clean at 100% all the time.
As is my broken record response, my absolute go-to low octave will always be the OC-2, there's nothing better to my ears (COG T-xx series comes incredibly close though), so on my 'main' board, I have an OC-2 for one octave down, and the S'n'U Mini for octave up.....this is the best combination for me!
On my larger board, I have a T-16 for the extra filter control, and an Earthquaker Devices Organizer for upper octaves (although it does lows too), just because it's a little more characterful with the lag and choir controls.

I think essentially I'm not a big fan of digital octave downs (unless they're actively trying to emulate analogue octave downs), but the POG/Mooer/TC standard digital octave down doesn't sound great to me.
But the S'n'U Mini has the best octave up I've heard next to the Line6 M series (which are big pedals obviously), and I came from a POG/Mooer Tender.

Si