MOTU AudioDesk 4..

motu 828x daw

1 reply to this topic

#1 VTypeV4

Engineer and Musician club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Mixing & Mastering, Bass, Speakers and Amps.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:01 AM

I've downloaded AudioDesk 4 from the MOTU site (it didn't used to be but it's now free!) to see how it is for audio sequencing. As a test, I've recorded a band (live) this evening although I won't get chance to have a look at mixing it until early next week.

It's a straight forward interface and vaguely resembles PT with each channel vertically presented on the 'mix' page. From top to bottom we have a number of inserts followed by sends with mutes and pre / post on each, a selection of 'buttons' with solo, mute, record-arm and monitor input functions. Beneath that there's a pan function (although this vanishes on OTB setups when the output is changed from main L/R on mono channels) with a balance indicator. Lastly there's a fader with a position indicator and at the bottom is the I/O config.

On the 'edit' page, it's once again similar to PT with the recorded wave files shown on the horizontal axis with the channel info / routing as well as automation options on the left of each. It's easier to name the channels on this page too.

There's also a third box which is multi configurable but I used it as a meterbridge to monitor the 12 or so channels I recorded this evening. Conveniently it shows level inputs with reasonably fast rise and fall balistics and has a clip inicator which stays on until it's reset.

I'll make an ITB and OTB - the latter being my preferred method - patch to see how it goes both ways. The software comes with a number of plugins / fx built although I don't know if there's anymore that can be downloaded and integrated with it. Initial impressions are good with everything being roughly laid out in a reasonably logical manner and most things being where you'd expect them to be found.

On the down side, I don't think it sequences midi and I believe it only works with Motu interfaces (although I could be wrong on both) but for my live recording setup, it seems to have worked without incident this evening.

I'm going to have a closer look and get into it a bit more this week so I'll report back when I'm a bit more dialed in. I figure this thread may be useful for those using it in a similar way to myself especially as it's free software.. B)
Trace Elliot V4 MKII Head..

SWR Goliath Jr III x 2..

Yamaha NE-1.

'01 Warwick Streamer LX5.

'06 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass.

Yamaha 02R x3 plus an Allen & Heath ML5000

Aka 'Matt Sound' from the Rigger.

Recording and Mastering engineer. https://www.facebook...ynkronizemedia/

My Bikes..
'87 Yamaha FJ1200 1TX
'97 Honda ST1100 A
'80 Honda CX500 A
'89 Honda VFR400 NC30

#2 VTypeV4

Engineer and Musician club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Mixing & Mastering, Bass, Speakers and Amps.

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

Posted ImageAudio desk by VTypeV4, on Flickr

I started my OTB mix yesterday and other than having to increase the size of the sample buffers, it works great. Again, I'll report back when I've done a bit more..
Trace Elliot V4 MKII Head..

SWR Goliath Jr III x 2..

Yamaha NE-1.

'01 Warwick Streamer LX5.

'06 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass.

Yamaha 02R x3 plus an Allen & Heath ML5000

Aka 'Matt Sound' from the Rigger.

Recording and Mastering engineer. https://www.facebook...ynkronizemedia/

My Bikes..
'87 Yamaha FJ1200 1TX
'97 Honda ST1100 A
'80 Honda CX500 A