Why become a member? ×

Balanced output and tone for strings on P-basses

sirmuppet

Hi all.

I started a post a while back about a weak sounding bass but it was discovered that the pickup was at fault. It turned into a post about string balance etc... Since then I've been looking into it somewhat and driving myself nuts. The issue is now with most of my basses and I mainly use P-basses so that's what I'm bassing it on (No pun intended :D )

So I have 4 String P-basses with a weak G. I've tried lots of things. I have managed to get the volume close but not perfect. So I'll start with the P-bass I used last night.

It's a Fender Mex Passive P-bass deluxe. It's using a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound (I don't use the jazz pickup at all). Strung with D'addario EXL165 (45, 65, 85, 105). Action is (@ 17th fret uncappo'd) E=3.2mm, A=2.7mm, D=2.7mm, G=2.7mm. Pickup height is (Held down at the last fret) E=3.7mm, A=3.7mm, D=2.7mm, G=1.5mm. Neck relief is 0.30 at the 8th with a cappo on the first and held down at the last fret. Fretboard is rosewood.

I found on the above bass that the G was still slightly weak and a little lacking. I've been finding this on most basses of mine. I even tried EQ'ing my amp different last night with more mids and less treble/bass. I tried settings from Gary Mac in the previous post but that didn't work. I've Googled without coming up with a suggestion. Any ideas?

My other P-bass is a USA standard strung with the same as above, action at the 17th without cappo is: 2.5mm across all strings, Pickup height is (Held down at the last fret) E=4mm, A=5mm, D=4.7mm, G=2.5mm. Neck relief is 0.30 at the 8th with a cappo on the first and held down at the last fret. Fretboard is maple.

Previously I had D'addario EPS160 Prosteels (50, 70, 85, 105) and same issue.

I'd also like to know your setup like I have posted above with action stating cappo or no cappo at the 17th, string gauge and make, bass, pickup height etc... and if you have the same issue or no issue.

Does anyone also know the relationship between string distance, mass and tension. I know distance affects tone and output (Closer higher and more treble). How does mass affect tone and tension? Just that some say a thicker string gives more output but that means more tension and others state higher tension means less vibration which equals less magnetic force and thus less signal. So it seems to contradict itself.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by sirmuppet

Also I should add I'm a plectrum player, 60mm dunlop tortex with a medium to heavy(ish) play style. Amp is a Fender Super bassman run into a bassman 4x10. No effects or pedals just straight into the amp. This issue with strings happens on my other basses as well but they are strung up with the Prosteels I mentioned.

Edited by sirmuppet

My P bass setup below for comparison (all measurements taken the same way as yours). Probably not a lot of use in scientific terms as all basses are unique and there are many factors that affect tone and playability. The setup below is the result of several years of playing and fine tuning this particular bass and works well for my playing style (mainly finger style jazz/funk/pop).

Bass: 1973 P with original pickup
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Relief: just a smidge (I like a fairly straight neck)
Strings: DR Sunbeams 40 / 60 / 80 / 100
String action at 17th fret (mm): G 3.7 / D 4.0 / A 4.0 / E 4.5
Height above pickup poles (mm): G 5.5 / D 6.0 / A 8.0 / E 6.0

This setup gives an even output across the strings (no weak G) and the tone is quite open and responsive to touch.

One thing worth mentioning is that raising a pickup to compensate for a weak string isn't always the best thing. I find that lowering pickups and having a bit more air between the string and polepieces often results in a more even, open and fuller sound along with a wider range of playing dynamics.

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1506863671' post='3381564']
My P bass setup below for comparison (all measurements taken the same way as yours). Probably not a lot of use in scientific terms as all basses are unique and there are many factors that affect tone and playability. The setup below is the result of several years of playing and fine tuning this particular bass and works well for my playing style (mainly finger style jazz/funk/pop).

Bass: 1973 P with original pickup
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Relief: just a smidge (I like a fairly straight neck)
Strings: DR Sunbeams 40 / 60 / 80 / 100
String action at 17th fret (mm): G 3.7 / D 4.0 / A 4.0 / E 4.5
Height above pickup poles (mm): G 5.5 / D 6.0 / A 8.0 / E 6.0

This setup gives an even output across the strings (no weak G) and the tone is quite open and responsive to touch.

One thing worth mentioning is that raising a pickup to compensate for a weak string isn't always the best thing. I find that lowering pickups and having a bit more air between the string and polepieces often results in a more even, open and fuller sound along with a wider range of playing dynamics.
[/quote]

Cool, thanks for the reply. I noticed you use light strings. One person had said it was a way to get an even output as they had suggested Ernie Ball Super Slinkys in their post.

I'll give lowering the pickup a try.

Good call on the relief, that's one thing I forgot to mention. Mine is 0.30 cappo on the first and held down on the last. Same for both basses. I think that's what Fender suggests. Also the USA is a maple board and the mex is rosewood, I'll update my post.

Well I`ve had Gary Mac set one of my Precisions up and it plays beautifully, and the pickups are pretty much balanced perfectly, so maybe PM him and ask him for the settings he used on mine? I`m a pick player, and a heavy hitter - Gary did say that my set-up was the highest he`d ever done, I suppose I`m more caveman than I thought.

One thing I did note from the above though, a .60mm pick - I`ve found that the lighter the pick, the more mids/highs come across, and less lows, so that may be the area to look at, and possibly up a gauge or two? I use 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex Wedges, and even dropping down to 1mm I can hear the change in the sound, especially on the D & G strings, both being far less "forceful" in the mix.