Why become a member? ×

Barefaced impedence switch

chris_b

On a side note, regarding switching impedance in speaker cabinets, Hartke have also successfully switched the impedance of the actual driver in their HX112 cabinet. The driver has [i]two[/i] coils in it. It's just a case then of using a switch on the back of the cabinet to bring in those coils to change the cabinet impedance from 8 to 4 ohms. This isn't the way that Barefaced is doing it mind, but I thought it'd be interesting to mention.

Nobody mention the Accugroove debacle regarding the TRI210L..

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1507133966' post='3383556']
On a side note, regarding switching impedance in speaker cabinets, Hartke have also successfully switched the impedance of the actual driver in their HX112 cabinet. The driver has [i]two[/i] coils in it. It's just a case then of using a switch on the back of the cabinet to bring in those coils to change the cabinet impedance from 8 to 4 ohms. This isn't the way that Barefaced is doing it mind, but I thought it'd be interesting to mention.

Nobody mention the Accugroove debacle regarding the TRI210L..
[/quote]

I was actually considering the Hartke switchable 112s a while back but after a bit of research discovered the pretty large downside. Its method of impedance switching basically means that there's always a "dead weight" voice coil not being used. Alex basically said that he wanted to avoid this, as much of the wattage benefit you may get by switching to a 4ohm load using this method is negated by the decreased efficiency of the cab due to the added voice coil weight.

Or something like that.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1507191340' post='3383761']
Y'know, I almost prefer the days when Eden manuals used to talk about the "magic smoke".

It was easier to understand, and more consistent.
[/quote]

:lol:

I don't need to or particularly want to understand. Let Alex do his thing and if I want it, I'll hand over the dosh and just enjoy. :)

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1507319974' post='3384816']
Presumably the new switchable version of these cabs will remain at the same price as the "old" ones?
[/quote]
Why would you presume that? If there's more gubbins in it and an extra feature, I'd expect it to cost a little more, not be the same.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1507749962' post='3387771']

Why would you presume that? If there's more gubbins in it and an extra feature, I'd expect it to cost a little more, not be the same.
[/quote]

Alright. Replace "presumably" with "hopefully"...