Why become a member? ×

What would you do- a hypothetical quandary?

yorks5stringer

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1507111878' post='3383333']
In my view, if buying or selling, the item is still up for grabs by any other buyer until the buyer says "It's a deal. I'll have it. How do I pay you?" And delivery or collection is being discussed.

What the OP has described is all still chat.
[/quote]

Yeah thats my take a well, but its still up to the buyer to stay in touch, if they went AWOL for 24 hours without telling me and a definite offer came in, in the mean time then I'd probably take it. All theory of course as all my basschat deals have gone without a hitch so far ...

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1507202971' post='3383865']
Yeah thats my take a well, but its still up to the buyer to stay in touch, if they went AWOL for 24 hours without telling me and a definite offer came in, in the mean time then I'd probably take it. All theory of course as all my basschat deals have gone without a hitch so far ...
[/quote]
Very true.

The OP's mate's buyer going off and discussing with the other-half tells me it's still only 50/50. It may be an excuse to disappear, or the missus(?) may say "no".

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1507204620' post='3383885']
Is there a conclusion to the story?
[/quote]

Well everyone loves happy ending, don't they? The Buyer contacted my' friend' well before the deadline yesterday to sort out logistics saying he had actually emailed earlier in the week..... but there was no trace of said emails. Anyway, there is to be an exchange of goods/cash tomorrow so all good, except for the guy next in line who has seen the deal slip through his fingers.....and he offered full price too!

As my friend has bought and sold on here for many years, it has been a useful lesson for him to make sure he specifies quite clearly to any responses from Buyers, what constitutes an offer or sale and setting agreed response times.

You snooze.....you lose. That is my attitude when I'm buying something. If I make an offer I don't expect the seller to twiddle their thumbs while I get around to paying them. I always pay ASAP.

If I did faff about and the item was sold to somebody else, I wouldn't blame the seller..

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1507237299' post='3384221']
Plus point to your mate for sticking with the first person, despite being offered full price by the next, pretty decent I`d say.
[/quote]

I'll pass on your generous comments to him...!

Edited by yorks5stringer