Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

Looking at the blue high pass line on the Linkwitz-Riley freq chart below, if the cutoff freq ('fo') is 30hz then I'd estimate the corner freq to be around 40hz.
So this should give you what you're after.

Edited by ikay

As someone who has been playing around with speaker design for quite a while I have a kind of rule of thumb which helps me predict what small changes in design will actually sound like in practice. A 1dB change in frequency response is just audible in an A/B test wher you have both systems (speakers in this case) next to each other and can switch quickly between the two. 3dB is generally noticeable anyway, you'd hear a difference in bass output between two speakers with a 3dB difference at 60Hz. Below that our ears are not very sensitive, at 30Hz I don't think anyone with an untrained ear would detect any difference that couldn't be fooled in a blind test.

Of course 3dB is half the power so you are significantly reducing the demands you make on the speaker if you filter out the lows. If you use a ported speaker there are two vulnerabilities around the tuning frequencies. Wind noise in the port at the tuning frequency and uncontrolled and excessive excursion below the tuning frequency. Most bass cabs are tuned fairly close to 50Hz so a 3dB cut below this can only be a good thing and unlikely to be audible.