Why become a member? ×

5 String Bass + Amp Help

lancer

I went into my local music store today to have a play of some budget 5 strings.
I have to say this is not the first time I’ve considered the 5 route.
My problem is, when I’ve tried budget 5 strings before the b string in the shop has always sounded lower in volume in comparison to the other strings.
Now, when I go to my local shop I’m kind of at the mercy as to what amp they plug it into.
Today, I tried 3 sub rays, a squier jazz and a Ibanez but they were plugged in an EBS 500w 2x10 combo.
I have to say I just couldn’t believe how great these basses sounded, with the b only slightly week on the Squier.
The rays sounded fantastic.
I can’t possibly have a 500w 2x10 EBS in my house.
My question is what kind of amp for home use, ie wattage and driver size would be good to replicate a good b string sound.
My budget will be around £200-£300 for an amp?
Thanks guys

I have a 500W 4x10 in my house! You can always just stick with one gigging amp and simply turn it down at him e. I would only look at a separate practice amp if you didn’t have room for it and were going to keep your large amp in storage, or if your main amp had a really noisy fan that could not be tamed, or, you just fancy another amp of course! Just don’t be scared off thinking you can’t use a big rig at home.

Do you have another amp already? Do you gig or rehearse that might need a powerful amp?

If just wanting something for home use, or low volume practice, I would look at a Markbass 801 or PJB Cub / Double Four at exotic end, or a Roland Cube, Fender Rumble or Line6 Studio 110 at the more affordable end. But there are tons of options in that price range!

Edited by dannybuoy