Why become a member? ×

BBC4 Tonight

steantval

Thanks. According to my EPG on Freesat, he's on tomorrow at nine on BBC4 instead. The making of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' album Damn the Torpedoes follows at ten.
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules/2017/10/06"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...ules/2017/10/06[/url]

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1507228121' post='3384122']
It's funny how we still post times and days when TV programmes are being broadcast when any sensible person will watch it at their leisure on whatever catch-up service is streaming it.
[/quote]

I can't keep up with all these modern fandango inventions - I'm sticking to my square wheels...

It's funny how we still post times and days when TV programmes are being broadcast when any sensible person will watch it at their leisure on whatever catch-up service is streaming it.
[/quote]

Probably enough old gimmers like me who still actually watch things when they first go out though?
Don't think I've ever been sensible either......... ;)

[/quote]

I don't stream anything but I do record things to a free view recorder, for that I'd need the times it's on so thanks for the heads up to those that post channels and times.

Not everyone is tech savvy nor do they want to be ;)

I got rid of my TV in 2010 and TBH I haven't missed it in the slightest. Anything I want to watch gets watched on my laptop when I feel like it and not when the broadcaster thinks I should be watching it.

I also didn't have a TV for most of the 80s, due to the fact that I simply couldn't afford one, and if I had any spare cash it would have been used to buy more synths not a TV.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1507297823' post='3384612']
I got rid of my TV in 2010 and TBH I haven't missed it in the slightest. Anything I want to watch gets watched on my laptop when I feel like it and not when the broadcaster thinks I should be watching it.

I also didn't have a TV for most of the 80s, due to the fact that I simply couldn't afford one, and if I had any spare cash it would have been used to buy more synths not a TV.
[/quote]

Tried that. Hate watching TV on screen smaller than the ones back in the 50s. Nothing like a 50" widescreen with a good sound system.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1507303970' post='3384670']
Not exactly family friendly all gathered around a laptop either is it?
[/quote]

No. In fairness however, today's laptops have colour, HD, surround sound and are bigger than the screens that folk watched the coronation on.

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10463593&itemw=4&itemf=0001&itemstep=1&itemx=27

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1507300496' post='3384632']
Tried that. Hate watching TV on screen smaller than the ones back in the 50s. Nothing like a 50" widescreen with a good sound system.
[/quote]

A decent sized lap top screen from a couple of feet away has the same impact as a big screen on the other side of the room with the added advantage that you're not forever twisting your neck to side from one side of the screen to another. Most sound systems IME are terrible. The "surround" sound is over directional, bass is massively pumped up and all they seem to do is make the explosions sound impressive while drowning out the dialog. Actually this might be an advantage so you can't tell just how terrible the script is.

IME watching on a small screen means that you concentrate on the actual story and not on the spectacle which has got to be a good thing.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1507285146' post='3384477']
Hoping they'll show the 4 hour tom petty doc again soon. 'runnin down a dream' I think.
[/quote]

It's available on Netflix (and has been for ages) :) No good if you don't have Netflix I suppose... :mellow:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1507545491' post='3386142']
A decent sized lap top screen from a couple of feet away has the same impact as a big screen on the other side of the room with the added advantage that you're not forever twisting your neck to side from one side of the screen to another. [b]Most sound systems IME are terrible[/b]. The "surround" sound is over directional, bass is massively pumped up and all they seem to do is make the explosions sound impressive while drowning out the dialog. Actually this might be an advantage so you can't tell just how terrible the script is.

IME watching on a small screen means that you concentrate on the actual story and not on the spectacle which has got to be a good thing.
[/quote]

Not if you simply plug it into a good Hi-Fi system, like I do.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1507546791' post='3386162']
Not if you simply plug it into a good Hi-Fi system, like I do.
[/quote]

I simply use a pair of non-bassy headphones.

My experience of "family" TV viewing both as a kid and as an adult, is that it is an excuse for others to talk all the way through anything that you want to watch, which is why my prefer method of watching is by myself on a small screen with headphones on and no distractions.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1507547016' post='3386164']
I simply use a pair of non-bassy headphones.

My experience of "family" TV viewing both as a kid and as an adult, is that it is an excuse for others to talk all the way through anything that you want to watch, which is why my prefer method of watching is by myself on a small screen with headphones on and no distractions.
[/quote]

Hey not knocking it, each to there own, Mr Sociable. :D