Why become a member? ×

Marshall jcm800 - hang on to it or sell it?

John_P

I mainly gig with my GK so the marshall hasn't been out of the house for a long time.

It's an early 80's jcm800 bass series. I've just had a tech check it over in case I started gigging it again and it needed any work but I'm debating parting with it.

Any ideas on the value? I can't see them going up in price like some old marshalls but I might be wrong there. I think they are very cool but I suspect the majority of people have moved over to class D tiny amps these days.

I bought a nice 250w Marshall valve combo for £50 last year, the guy was hardly inundated with offers. I think that was cheap but they don't seem to make much money. Some cabs are for sale ASKING a lot of cash but I haven't seen any sell at those prices. I suppose you can always ask a decent price and keep it if it doesn't sell but I would just keep it if it were me.

These amps don't show up for sale that often and as they are getting on a bit now, value is probably quite condition dependant. The last few I saw for sale on line were advertised between £400-£800. The vertically stacked input knob versions are I believe more saleable. I also have one and use it occasionally. It's a great sounding amp, and also works well with my modern lightweight cabs. I'm hanging on to mine and I suspect there are a good few other players with an old superbass tucked away with no intention of parting with it soon.