Why become a member? ×

Smallish amp / boxer alternitives?

growse

I've posted an ad in the wanted section for a Trace Elliot boxer 65, as I played one a while back and was quite surprised at how good it was. However, these things appear to be quite rare these days, so I'm looking for alternatives. Can anyone recommend something that's reasonably small, but reasonably punchy? I'm not looking to compete against PAs at hugely loud gigs, but something that gives a reasonable sound with some volume would be good. The other reason I was looking 2nd hand is that it's cheaper - I'd rather get something a bit scuffed for less money than pay for something that looks pristine. I've also been looking at the Hartke kickback 12, any thoughts?

Any ideas at what sort of thing I should be looking at? As above, I think size / weight is my primary concern - I don't have a lot of storage space at my house....

Edited by growse

I'm playing through an EA iAmp 200 at the moment - by far the most portable and punchy amp I've ever owned - use to have a trace 1x15 combo and 2x10 extension - to big and heavy - also had a small trace combo, can't remeber the model, small but really heavy...

The EA stuff is not exactly cheap but it is an awesome package - I'm currently thinking about changing my set up to a pre/power amp and cab so might be selling the EA if your interested... I'd need to clear about £500 for it though - it's in very good condition and sounds great, done everything I've ever asked of it, they are £1300 new and very limited availability in this country as far as I know only available from [url="http://www.overwater.co.uk"]Overwater[/url]

Edited by jwbassman

I'm using a friend's SWR workingman's 1x12 whilst round at his- saves time etc.
I'm becoming quite fond of it. I can get some good noises out of it with little effort. I dialled up a rough EQ, gave the instrument a bit of stick, and he nearly fell over... He was somewhat surprised.
It hasn't got bags of power and isn't exactly pretty, but it sounds good, provided you can tolerate the mid-scoopy SWR sound.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think £500 is a bit much for me at the moment - I'm living on a bit of a budget. I mentioned the kickback 12 in my original post, I never realised the kickback 10 existed. The gallery is doing these for £300 new, so if I find a second hand one of these I might persue it. People seem to rate them fairly well.

I'll try and find an SWR to have a play with, I'm not too sure what sort of sound I'm looking for at the moment though but it should be worth a try. :)