Why become a member? ×

tolerable Christmas songs

alyctes

It's that time of year again...

We've been asked to gig a retirement home this December.

I am [s]a curmudgeon[/s] not keen on saccharine pap, and I've avoided Christmas songs for many years.

At the moment the setlist includes Wham's 'Last Christmas', 'Stop The Cavalry' (if I can persuade the singer), and that thing Greg Lake did in the 70s - which I like much more than I thought I would.

So, any more suggestions for the setlist?

Ta!

I quite like Springsteen's 'Santa Claus is coming to town', and ' I wish it could be Christmas every day
by Wizzard. Two of the few I can stand repeated listenings of. That shuffle thing is easy to dance to when drunk...
Also anything off the Phil Spector Christmas album would probably go down well for the same reason, and how about
'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty McColl?

We do Step into Christmas by Elton John and Shakie's Merry Christmas Everyone and they always go down well.

We tried the Pogues one but if you actually listen to it, it's about a minute of the cheery upbeat bit that everyone loves but the rest is depressing

We used to enjoy doing Rock and Roll Christmas by Gary Glitter but you can't really get away with playing any of his stuff anymore

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1507281358' post='3384417']
I've always enjoyed Chrismas Wrapping by The Waitresses I think? It may be called Christmas Rapping.
[/quote]

The bassist on that was one of Marcus Miller's students, forget (her?) name now, but it's a great bassline.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1507280274' post='3384411']
Should there be a law saying that you can't mention Christmas until the day after Bonfire Night?

But in answer to the OP:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e874vKfYfuU[/media]
[/quote]

Nice one - a sublime cover and exactly what sprung to my mind too ! (It still gives me goosebumps)

:)

Back to the OP - have you had a listen to 'A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector' - I'd go for something from that (as did the Cocteau Twins)

Edited by ahpook

James Brown's Santa Claus Goes Straight To The Ghetto
Vulfpeck's Christmas in LA

these and many others feature in my non-intolerable Xmas playlist at [url="https://open.spotify.com/user/toneknob/playlist/20XsgQ4kMStnkfZF6iNYdB"]https://open.spotify.com/user/toneknob/playlist/20XsgQ4kMStnkfZF6iNYdB[/url]

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1507303460' post='3384657']
Always been my favourite Christmas song. Great bassline too.
[/quote]
I think it was Tracy Wormworth - now in the B52s

Most of the classic xmas songs were from the 60's and 70's. That was 40/50 years ago. People in retirement homes were still relatively young then so the songs are probably from their era.