Why become a member? ×

Sire V7 vs Fender Custom shop Jazz

bubinga5

Not properly double-blind, so you can't rule out the player knowing what he's playing having an effect. That's hard to do though.

For me the second bass was warmer and fuller, but not much (and I couldn't hear any difference in the slap).

I liked the Fender colour combo and I'm sure it's better built and finished. But TBH on that evidence I'd not even consider it as an option - largely because of the TR adjustment.

Edited by alyctes

I am adamant that over a certain price point there is little to no difference in the sound of similar instruments with similar pickup arrangements. Maybe in a recording situation where you are under the microscope, but live I believe no one would be able to tell the difference. I have played £200 Squiers that sound as good as £1600 counterparts, beter even,but the difference for me comes in terms of feel and play-ability and how the instrument makes me feel.

Is that worth the huge amount of extra money? That's for you as an individual to decide, but most of us do like some of the 'finer' things in life in one way or another. My cheap car will get me to work just as well as a top end Audi, its not as nice and doesn't feel as nice to drive but they do the same thing and the difference doesn't bother me, its just a 'thing'.

I have played Fender CS guitars and for me they have a special 'something' I cant describe. The relic necks are out of this world, so effortless and comfortable like an old worn in pair of slippers. Nicer than my 16 year old Stingray but not to a level where I am going to sell all my belongings to get one. I rarely judge an instrument on how it sounds, in a shop I pick it up and play without amplification because feel is more important to me, most of basses even the cheap ones sound perfectly good.