Why become a member? ×

help me find resources for home practise

XoSo

Hi Guys

So i'm returning to bass after 40 years and enjoying learning the instrument properly through structured lessons (I only ever 'played' in a student band before where nothing but simple bass lines played very loudly were required). However occasionally I'd still like to let my (imaginary) hair down, turn the amp up and rock out. In the intervening years I've played guitar and always found a wealth of resources out there for the solo guitarist playing at home - backing tracks, 'band in a box' type pedals etc but there doesn't seem to be much out there for bassists. I know a lot of you guys are in bands but for those who aren't or even if you are, what do you use to make playing at home more interesting? If you know of any particularly good sources for backing tracks a link would be great as well as any recommendations for any pedals you know of if there are any.

Any multiFX unit or amp with an aux in will allow you to play along with audio from any source (iPod, laptop etc) or there's an app called iRealbook that's got thousands of jazz standard chord charts on screen and plays backing tracks in real time.
There's also lots of book & cd packages out there in any number of styles.

thanks Paul, I will explore those options. I'm hitting 60 and haven't really kept up with technology. I'm currently using a little vox pathfinder amp with no connectivity but I was thinking of upgrading to an Ampeg PF-500. That has an 'Audio in' which I presume is the same as an aux in and would allow the same connectivity?

Hey welcome back to the world of bass! It's massively fun and rewarding and as with most things in life you'll get out what you put in. Enjoy!

If I'm learning new material for either of my covers bands then I find Spotify is as good a resource as any. Just turn the bass down on the speakers you are streaming Spotify through and jam along - apparently that is what Paul Macca used to do when he was first learning bass, ok he was probably playing along to 78 rpm vinyls... :)

+1 to Paul_5's suggestion of a multi-fx. A Zoom B3n is excellent (and a second hand Zoom B3 a lot of pedal for the money).

I think you've probably got the following covered, but just in case they are of use:

[url="https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/"]Ultimate guitar.com[/url] has a wealth of chords / tabs to help work stuff out.

Some fantastic lesson resources on YouTube, my particular favourite is [url="https://www.youtube.com/user/TalkingBassVideo"]Talking Bass[/url] as I find his lessons very clear and well structured (and an amazing free resource!)

Edited by Al Krow

Not particularly cheap but there's a load of backing tracks on karaokeversion.co.uk where you can choose which instrument is left out. £1.50 a track as I recall, and most of them come with versions with and without vocals, and isolated bass too. Some of them are a bit obviously midi instruments, but in the main the ones I've bought have been pretty good. I'm sure I've come across other, free, backing tracks for bass, but obviously there's a lot less than for guitarists.

Also pretty expensive but there used to be the band in a box software, which you can use to create your own backing tracks. I had a version about ten years ago, and even then it had some reasonable "real" instrument sounds as well as the midi based stuff. Not sure if it's still available, though, or how much it is. Edit: just checked, still going and starts at $129. Various different versions with additional content up to a whopping $600 odd.

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

[quote name='XoSo' timestamp='1507461408' post='3385549']
thanks Al, all useful info. I'm currently working though the lessons on Talking Bass but also thinking of joining Scotts Bass Academy - really like his style of delivery from the lessons I've seen on youtube.
[/quote]

Pleasure. If you're working through Talking Bass and Scott's lessons then you're in two very capable hands!

And, seriously, once you're up to a half decent standard (and I'm guessing it won't take you too long if you're already familiar with six string) I'd actually say there is nothing more fun and motivating (and occasionally demotivating!) than playing live, with band mates. Good luck with the journey. I re-started mine just 4 or so years ago also having had a long break and originally been a six string player in my 'yoof'. It's been a massive amount of fun and rapidly turned into an abiding passion.

Oh yes an important axiom to becoming a competent bass player is spend more time on the fret-board than you do on the keyboard with us fellow BCers, something I often personally fail to manage!

Edited by Al Krow