Hand strength

5 replies to this topic

#1 JPJ

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

So i've been playing EUB for a while, for a few songs in our set. As I work away from home all week, I only get an hour or two to practice with the EUB at the weekends, and then not every weekend. As a result, I'm really struggling to keep my hand strength in my left hand. So my question is, do any of you folk use one of those hand exerciser things, and if so, are they any good?
JPJ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basses by Overwater, Ibanez & JPJ
Amps by SWR & Aguilar
Cabinets by SWR
Preamps by PJB & Radial
Cables by OBBM
Beverages by Nescafe & Guinness
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 The Jaywalker

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hand strength for DB/EUB is a misnomer - certainly if you're thinking in terms of grip strength training away from the instrument.
Left hand technique relies on arm weight rather than grip strength to stop the notes - in fact, a really tight grip results in a very poor sound. For my younger students, i sometimes use the analogy of the bass neck being a wardrobe rail and the left hand acting like a coathanger.
In short, work a bit on utilising arm weight rather than grip strength and your problems will go away :-)

Edited by The Jaywalker, 09 October 2017 - 12:48 PM.

#3 petebassist

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:"We are ugly but we have the music", Leonard Cohen

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:00 AM

I read that those hand strengtheners can also make your hand very stiff and inflexible, which is exactly what you don't want.
I used to find that keeping my left arm raised (I'm a righty) in position for long periods was difficult. I now do a few press ups and upper body exercises in the gym to build a little bit of upper body strength. I find this also makes playing upright bass a lot easier, but before anyone chips in, I'm in no way saying that you have to be Arnold Schwarzenegger to play upright.
I'll be Bach!
---
Eastman VB105 acoustic double bass.
Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Weichs.
David Gage Realist Lifeline.

#4 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

View Postpetebassist, on 09 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

...I'm in no way saying that you have to be Arnold Schwarzenegger to play upright.
I'll be Bach!

:lol:
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

BassChat Terms & Conditions............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#5 Burns-bass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

The arm weight things is true, but learning DB (if youíve come from an electric bass background) is a challenge. It is all about arm weight but your strain is going to be about building up some strength and stamina to be in whatís likely to be a new position and unlearning, to a degree. The habits and memories of playing electric bass.

You need to spend time playing, itís that simple. And I do too...
64 Jazz (Sunburst), 66 Jazz (CAR), 75 Jazz (Sunburst), Old, battered 60s DB, and incoming Bryant DB (woo!)

#6 Staggering on

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Bass of course,sailing,skiing,lots of music,living the good life out in the boonies of northern Ontario.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

I tried the hand exercisers for a few weeks and found that using them aggravated my carpal tunnel problems so I decided that like Burns-bass I would get more benefit from playing my EUB more and it worked-physically and musically.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users