Why become a member? ×

power supply compatibility?

Fionn

Just wondering if somebody could advise me on this ...

I've just bought a Roland Bass Micro Cube RX (you know, the tiny 5W practice combo). It was 2nd hand, and doesn't have a PSU with it. The current draw for the combo (according to Roland) is 186 mA. The technical specs for the recommended adapter are as follows ...

Model: PSB-1U
Input: 100-240V, 0.4A, 50-60Hz
Output: +9.0V AC 2A 18W MAX
Center Negative

Now, I have a redundant 9V PSU that I think might work, but I would like some advice from the forum first, in case there's something that I'm missing, or not understanding correctly. The PSU that I have is a Boss switching adapter, specs as follows. Would it work?

Model: PSA-230ES
Input: 100-240V- 50-60Hz 250mA
Output: 9V AC 0.5A 4.5W
Center Negative

What say ye's?

Edited by Fionn

Are you sure they are both 9V AC? I can't see why they would state centre negative if it was AC. But all other things being equal, I don't think it would quite have the power. It may only work at lower volumes, or may not start up properly if there is a lot of microprocessor gubbins in te amp. If it does work, I think the power supply would run too hot and might fail rather soon.

Probably a typo and should be DC. I have the little Roland guitar cube and it takes a standard 9V supply like a regular pedal. You should be fine if that 186mA value is correct and your supply can dish out up to 250mA, but it doesn't sound like very much. A typical digital multi FX would use that alone without having to actually push a speaker as well!

Edited by dannybuoy