Why become a member? ×

The Fender Bass VI

radiophonic

I'm really curious about one of these. Fender seem weakly committed to the idea - there is no 'Fender' model, only a Vintage Modified Squier although Pawn Shop models with the rear humbucker circulate s/h. My only concern is that I don't play with a pick and really never got on with them. This would mean some sort of weird finger picked / plucked hybrid. OTOH, I could lay finger picked guitar chords and I'm guessing the combination of a VI with an octaver might be quite interesting. Nowhere near me seems to stock them of course, so it'd be a risk or a long drive to demo one. Anyone tried them? |They are definitely a Bass, not a Baritone. Fender are adamant about it!

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1507549256' post='3386207']
I'm really curious about one of these. Fender seem weakly committed to the idea - there is no 'Fender' model, only a Vintage Modified Squier although Pawn Shop models with the rear humbucker circulate s/h. My only concern is that I don't play with a pick and really never got on with them. This would mean some sort of weird finger picked / plucked hybrid. OTOH, I could lay finger picked guitar chords and I'm guessing the combination of a VI with an octaver might be quite interesting. Nowhere near me seems to stock them of course, so it'd be a risk or a long drive to demo one. Anyone tried them? |They are definitely a Bass, not a Baritone. Fender are adamant about it!
[/quote]

I've had a go on the Squier VM model. I quite enjoyed it, though it's a bit counterintuitive if you play long-scale basses and "normal" guitars: it sounds more like one of the former but feels more like one of the latter.

Due to the shorter scale length you don't get the same sort of sounds you might expect to be able to get from, say, a Precision, and similarly the thinner strings won't take as much punishment. I think I found it more satisfying to plug the Bass VI into a guitar amp and go more for a deep, twangy sound - though I suspect this was me subconsciously trying to treat it more like a baritone than a bass!

I have the Squier VM version, which I've been playing off an on for the past year and a bit. Despite now playing in two post-punk/goth influenced bands I still haven't been able to find a real use for it. If I want a bass guitar type of sound all my bass guitars even the other short scale ones sound better; if I want a low pitched guitar type sound my Harley Benton Baritone guitar is more comfortable to play.

For me the biggest obstacle to getting something useable out of mine is the typical Fender narrow neck. All my standard guitars are noticeably wider at the nut, and that coupled with the thicker than guitar strings means that the string spacing is just too uncomfortable for me to get used to.

I'd happily own another Bass VI type instrument if it had a 42+mm nut and some more substantial sounding pickups like a set of Burns Tri-Sonics. Unfortunately the Fender/Squier versions simply isn't the Bass VI for me. Mine will be on eBay shortly...

Also being a guitarist I have no problem playing with a pick and IMO to get the best out of it you do need to be able to use a pick. However a guitar finger picking type technique works almost as well, and if you really can't get on with a pick you should try to master that as an alternative.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1507571853' post='3386432']
I have the Squier VM version, which I've been playing off an on for the past year and a bit. Despite now playing in two post-punk/goth influenced bands I still haven't been able to find a real use for it. If I want a bass guitar type of sound all my bass guitars even the other short scale ones sound better; if I want a low pitched guitar type sound my Harley Benton Baritone guitar is more comfortable to play.

For me the biggest obstacle to getting something useable out of mine is the typical Fender narrow neck. All my standard guitars are noticeably wider at the nut, and that coupled with the thicker than guitar strings means that the string spacing is just too uncomfortable for me to get used to.

I'd happily own another Bass VI type instrument if it had a 42+mm nut and some more substantial sounding pickups like a set of Burns Tri-Sonics. Unfortunately the Fender/Squier versions simply isn't the Bass VI for me. Mine will be on eBay shortly...

Also being a guitarist I have no problem playing with a pick and IMO to get the best out of it you do need to be able to use a pick. However a guitar finger picking type technique works almost as well, and if you really can't get on with a pick you should try to master that as an alternative.
[/quote]

Its the string spacing that I'm most concerned about really. I'm a pretty good finger picker on guitar and that was the angle I was thinking of, but it'd more useful if I could swap between finger style bass and finger picked. I did dredge through YouTube and almost to a man they use a pick and treat it as a low tuned guitar rather than a bass with some interesting chord and drone options.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1507572667' post='3386445']
Its the string spacing that I'm most concerned about really. I'm a pretty good finger picker on guitar and that was the angle I was thinking of, but it'd more useful if I could swap between finger style bass and finger picked. I did dredge through YouTube and almost to a man they use a pick and treat it as a low tuned guitar rather than a bass with some interesting chord and drone options.
[/quote]

After failing originally to get on with my Squier VI I went back to my 1960s Burns Sonic short-scale bass and found it far more useful from both a sonic and playing PoV for two notes chords and drone string bass lines. If I just want very down-tuned guitar options the baritone guitar is far more versatile.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1507572667' post='3386445']
Its the string spacing that I'm most concerned about really. I'm a pretty good finger picker on guitar
[/quote]

Two of my friends, both very good acoustic fingerpickers, have played mine and had no problems doing their stuff on my VI.

YMMV of course. I'd recommend having a go on one if you can.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1507574378' post='3386468']
Two of my friends, both very good acoustic fingerpickers, have played mine and had no problems doing their stuff on my VI.

YMMV of course. I'd recommend having a go on one if you can.
[/quote]

That's the issue - I can't try one out here. PMT's selection of basses is wretched.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1507573052' post='3386451']
After failing originally to get on with my Squier VI I went back to my 1960s Burns Sonic short-scale bass and found it far more useful from both a sonic and playing PoV for two notes chords and drone string bass lines. If I just want very down-tuned guitar options the baritone guitar is far more versatile.
[/quote]

I do a lot of droney stuff on my Stingray and I can't really see me making use of a regular short scale bass. I was really looking to make use of the upper two strings, octave down. I'd considered a baritone, but I'd prefer not to lose the low E.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1507574558' post='3386471']
That's the issue - I can't try one out here. PMT's selection of basses is wretched.
[/quote]

My apologies - you did say that in your first post.

I'd say they're a bit of a dark horse unless you know you like them - I've never really gelled with mine, but as I'm a much better bassist than guitarist I think that's influenced my take on it. I think they're quite Marmite really and deffo neither a bass or a guitar, despite what Fender say.

Mine doesn't get used much at all - I was hoping the rarity would make it a bit of a cupboard investment, but the reissues seem to have sated the interest of those who were curious.

I have had 2 Bass VIs, the Squier ones. I tried the fender one, which is a better guitar, but a lot more expensive, or at least was at the time when it was in production, I didn't know it wasn't a production model, and that was a pre-brexit price so it would be silly now.
The second one I got as it was cheap and I missed the first one, but turns out the problems I had with the first one were still there, so I sold that one too and got the ibanez version. Its a better guitar, but it really isn't a bass, it is a deep guitar.

There was some interesting footage on YouTube recently of he recording session for God Only Knows which showed an upright, P bass and 6 string bass. The 6 string (from what I remember) was being used to add definition to the upright.

I have to say the best exponent of the Bass VI (IMO) is Jimmy Vaughan. Plays it as a deep guitar (trem bar and all). Check out Chicken Fried Shake on the Ron Levy's Wild Kingdom CD is you get the chance. Wonderful Hammond playing and some brilliant Bass VI playing.

I'd always wanted to try a Bass VI but being left-handed my options were even more limited. Then I discovered the Revelation RJT60B. It's a good alternative to the Squier and it's cheaper too.

The novelty did wear off quite quickly. I do like it, but I agree with the previous posters - in terms of technique and sound it's very much a guitar, not a bass.

I had a Squier one, but it needed a little bit of work doing to it. Firstly the stock strings were faily diabolical, and the replacement La Bella flats are very expensive. They work fine with rounds of course but I think they work far better as a bass with the flats.
Also, the nut seemed to have been made of nougat so that had to be replaced. Some enthusiasts have an issue with the bridge but I got on fine with mine.
Tonally, it certainly can do the 'bass' thing with ease - have a listen to Helter Skelter or I Can't Let Go by The Hollies - a very distictive twang.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1507627842' post='3386808']
He certainly did. I saw him with the Graham Bond Organisation in 1964(?) and he was playing one then as well as an upright.

G.
[/quote]

Cool. Obviously, he's better than me anyway! I guess the move to an EB0 reflected the big rock sound Cream were going for.

I've always associated these with guitarists going for that Duane Eddy style low twang. There are lots of example played on them - used by Hank Marvin on a couple of tunes. The guitar solo in Witchita Lineman is an example of the sound. The whole concept seemed to me to be a guitar with lower notes available - the string spacing is definitely guitar not bass.

There is a lot of interest in these from 60s guitarist officianados - quite a portion of whom in my experience aren't willing to pay top end guitar prices and make do, for instance with Mexican fiesta red Strats. Maybe that's why Fender pitch the model where they do. I think they did a Fender re-release some years back - I seem to remember one of the old guys I know showing me one of these.

In terms of use as a bass, there are examples but not many. Jack Bruce used a bass V for a while - 30 in scale E to C where you played across the strings instead of up them - once again not a hugely popular idea. I remember a Bass V being on the wall of the music shop where I played a Precision bass for the first time - circa 1970. Always intrigued me!!

Edited by drTStingray

A couple of more contemporary bands who use a Bass VI in lieu of a regular bass that I'm a fan of:

Football Etc.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js77J5r5koA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=js77J5r5koA[/url]

TTNG

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKXg2scb_s"]https://www.youtube....h?v=dCKXg2scb_s[/url]

The guy in TTNG uses a Jag bass that he's converted into a 6 string Bass VI style instrument if I remember correctly. The P/J pickups definitely help with the 'bass' side of things when compared to the standard pickups on a bass VI in my opinion.

:)

Edited by Ruiner

With the right set up and amplification you can more "conventional" bass sounds out of the bass VI. There was a band who supported the Terrortones and couple of years back whose bass player had one, and if I hadn't seen that he was using a Bass VI, I wouldn't have known that it wasn't a "normal" bass guitar.

You definitely need to shim the neck the increase the break angle over the bridge and fit strings with a heavier low E and A to get the best out of the Fender/Squier versions, then you might also want to change the bridge. None of this is cheap. When the Bass VI was selling for around £300 they were good value, now they are closer to £400 with all the modifications that need to made out of the box, the attraction is less obvious.

[quote name='Ruiner' timestamp='1507708094' post='3387308']
A couple of more contemporary bands who use a Bass VI in lieu of a regular bass that I'm a fan of:

Football Etc.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js77J5r5koA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=js77J5r5koA[/url]

TTNG

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKXg2scb_s"]https://www.youtube....h?v=dCKXg2scb_s[/url]

The guy in TTNG uses a Jag bass that he's converted into a 6 string Bass VI style instrument if I remember correctly. The P/J pickups definitely help with the 'bass' side of things when compared to the standard pickups on a bass VI in my opinion.

:)
[/quote]

Football, etc was the reason why I bought mine after seeing Mercy play.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1507641265' post='3386914']
Cool. Obviously, he's better than me anyway! I guess the move to an EB0 reflected the big rock sound Cream were going for.
[/quote]

He had it painted all psychedelic by Dutch artists The Fool but the paint wasn't dry before they went on tour so he grabbed an EB-3 and that was that