Why become a member? ×

Relocating to Romford

Left Foot

I've gone to the dAwGs mate!

I'm relocating to Romford and I don't know anyone there, its an adventure.
Just realised the horror that I don't know any local pubs, clubs or any practice rooms and google doesn't make me think there's much going on :(

Has anyone got any positive news about local practice rooms and bands etc?

Oh, good luck!! :)

I lived there for 30 years, and my family are still there or thereabouts. In the town itself, the brewery is long gone, and has been replaced with another shopping centre.. um, called 'The Brewery'. Clever. Likewise, some of the pubs went with it, and were replaced with the regular pub chains you get every where else. I'd be hard pressed to name a decent Live music venue.

However, there is a rehearsal space about 15/20 minutes drive in nearby Upminster for about 10 quid an hour: - http://www.thefarmstudios.co.uk/Rehearsing.html

.. and yes, do go to the dAwGs ~ it's a good night out and loads more life in it than the Swindon track near me. Mind you don't trip over all the white hand bags! :rolleyes:

All I know about Romford is, a) Trace Elliot started there in the back room of a shop called Soundwave, b} it has 'Roneo Corner', and c) an arrogant c*** of an uncle of mine used to live there (probably drank himself to death years ago, and good riddance).

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1507575820' post='3386488']
[url="http://www.romskatepark.co.uk/home/about/"]Legendary skatepark.[/url]

That's about all I know.
[/quote]

A few months back I was driving passed this skate board park. It is next to a learner driving centre called [i]cardrome[/i]. They were filming the Eastenders 'ambulance crash' scene there (ask your wife) :)

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1507578889' post='3386548']
Yes. That is a fantastic skate park... Proper old-school cool.
[/quote]

Ah...Rom Skatepark :-)
I spent much of my yoof hanging out there back in the Alva/Bones/Benjyboard era - a great park

But musically speaking.....

The Farm at Upminster as mentioned above is our preferred rehearsal place. Theres also a place called the White Rooms further down towards the A13.

Theres a PMT and DV247 just on the edge of town near the A12 (they're only a few hundred yards from each other) so you're spoilt for decent shops to browse in.

And theres a pretty healthy music scene in the pubs - The Admiral Vernon in Dagenham is one that we play pretty regularly and theres also The Crown at Roneo Corner. They both run regular jam nights. I'm not too sure about the originals scene but if you do the rock covers thing there are a lot of good bands that play locally and they're a pretty friendly bunch for a chat. Have a look out for Java, The Rising, Yellowhouse (thats me - pop along one night and say hello!), Slam, PermaBeast amongst others. The only downside is that the the venues are pretty locked into the regular bands and it can be hard to get a gig at the better ones.

Most bands use Livebandphotos.co.uk for gig listings locally. Heres the links to the Vernon and the Crown...

[url="http://www.livebandphotos.co.uk/pubmap/?The%20Admiral%20Vernon,%20Dagenham"]http://www.livebandp...non,%20Dagenham[/url]
[url="http://www.livebandphotos.co.uk/pubmap/?The%20Crown%20Inn,%20Roneo%20Corner%20Hornchurch"]http://www.livebandp...er%20Hornchurch[/url]

Hope it helps you settle in :-)

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1507717903' post='3387392']
I live in nearby Becontree. Been here for just over a year. There is no such thing as and originals scene, either people wanting to play originals or venues wanting original bands.

I go to the centre of London to practice instead. Luckily I work there.
[/quote]

Aaah, the Disctrict Line. Brings back memories :D Have you been on there on a Saturday when West Ham are playing at home yet?

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1507578105' post='3386531']
All I know about Romford is, a) Trace Elliot started there in the back room of a shop called Soundwave,
[/quote]

Blimey, yes I remember that place, busy shop. I lived south of the river and visited that place quite a lot.
:)

[quote name='Brett' timestamp='1507935126' post='3388958']
I take it monkey business is long gone.
[/quote]

Monkey Biz is long gone.. I think they went bust in the late 90's or early noughties? The last time I drove past, the premises had become an independent bathroom fitters / DIY shop.

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1507992427' post='3389213']

Monkey Biz is long gone.. I think they went bust in the late 90's or early noughties? The last time I drove past, the premises had become an independent bathroom fitters / DIY shop.
[/quote]

Two of the guys who worked there, started PMT. (Simon and Terry)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1508023131' post='3389390']
Two of the guys who worked there, started PMT. (Simon and Terry)
[/quote]

... and don't forget Trevor! how could you forget Trevor? B) (someone will start a 'Monkey Biz' thread in a minute.. then again ~ maybe not).