Why become a member? ×

Be Bop Deluxe act looking for bass player

Roland Rock

From Glen Vine on Facebook:

"BE BOP DELUXE ...I’m searching for a talented bass player with strong harmony backing vocals. This is an appeal to genuine fans of Be Bop Deluxe who know and love the music. If this is you, its not necessary to describe how varied, unique the music is and how challenging it is to play. The goal is to recreate the fabulous and unique live sound from the early Axe Victim days through to Modern Music and beyond. If this sounds exciting – please don’t let distance from our the location (South Yorkshire) deter you from getting in touch. Thanks."

https://m.facebook.com/groups/628992467283349?view=permalink&id=839590152890245

Anyone up for the challenge?

Edited by Roland Rock

We're working on a couple of BBD songs ("Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" and "Ships In The NIght"), taking the "Gentlemen Rocketeers" versions as a point of reference. No idea how they'll go down if and when we do them live, but hopefully somebody will appreciate them!!!

[quote name='tony_m' timestamp='1507582067' post='3386586']
We're working on a couple of BBD songs ("Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" and "Ships In The NIght"), taking the "Gentlemen Rocketeers" versions as a point of reference. No idea how they'll go down if and when we do them live, but hopefully somebody will appreciate them!!!
[/quote]

Without the superfluous bass solo in Adventures I hope? God, that's awful!!

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1507622204' post='3386759']
Without the superfluous bass solo in Adventures I hope? God, that's awful!!
[/quote]

Absolutely no bass solos whatsoever! Fortunately Mr Guitar can improvise until the cows come home, all I need to do is mess about on C and F while he does his stuff. :D

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1507590150' post='3386680']
Used to do Maid In Heaven in a band I was in a few years back. Always enjoyed playing that one. Sadly I can't harmonise to save my life, otherwise I'd go for this.
[/quote]

Go for it anyway....if it's the same guy, they've been looking for over a year for someone. I thought about it, bought a couple of the albums, liked some of the songs a lot, but figured it wasn't for me.

A brilliant band. Charlie Tumahai was a real talent...those funky, flowing, melodic lines...

Mr Nelson is still cranking out the good stuff. Sadly, health issues mean that his live appearances are few and far between, which is a shame as he plays as good as ever. He's not a fan of tribute bands though...on FaceBook a few years ago, I. suggested that it wouldn't be a terrible idea for a tribute band to cover the BBD catalogue at gigs, so people could get their "Ships in the Night" fix, leaving him to produce his lovely solo albums. Suffice to say, Mr Nelson and I didn't agree on that point. At all.

I'd still go and see one though.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1507717873' post='3387391']
A brilliant band. Charlie Tumahai was a real talent...those funky, flowing, melodic lines...

Mr Nelson is still cranking out the good stuff. Sadly, health issues mean that his live appearances are few and far between, which is a shame as he plays as good as ever. He's not a fan of tribute bands though...on FaceBook a few years ago, I. suggested that it wouldn't be a terrible idea for a tribute band to cover the BBD catalogue at gigs, so people could get their "Ships in the Night" fix, leaving him to produce his lovely solo albums. Suffice to say, Mr Nelson and I didn't agree on that point. At all.

I'd still go and see one though.
[/quote]

He was dead set against mp3 download for a while too but eventually relented. I used to frequent Dreamsville quite regularly until the diary eventually died a death. Seems quite the curmudgeon at times!

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1507590150' post='3386680']
Used to do Maid In Heaven in a band I was in a few years back. Always enjoyed playing that one. Sadly I can't harmonise to save my life, otherwise I'd go for this.
[/quote]

Maid In Heaven one of my fav tracks of all time. Fantastic song

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1507581240' post='3386575']
Would love to play in a BBD act but can't imagine it would pull in many punters?

Having said that, a mate of mine a few years back suggested a DEVO tribute act :)
[/quote]

Can report from personal experience the DEVO tribute is a better runner than you might expect. On the other hand, we don't need the competition so actually it's a terrible gig and you shouldn't even think about it!

The BBD tribute have been advertising for members for about 5 years now - I think it's one guy doing a pet project that he's trying to get off the ground.

[quote name='borntohang' timestamp='1507800217' post='3387998']
Can report from personal experience the DEVO tribute is a better runner than you might expect. On the other hand, we don't need the competition so actually it's a terrible gig and you shouldn't even think about it!
[/quote]

Made my day :)

Would love to see you lot at my local on a Friday night, do you dress up also?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1508493753' post='3392530']
Absolutely brilliant. Do you do weddings?
[/quote]

We've never been asked, but yes we totally would! Think the nearest show we've got planned at the moment is Brighton, we're mostly 'oop north. We're at [url="http://facebook.com/wearenotdevo"]facebook.com/wearenotdevo[/url] either way.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1508499322' post='3392597']
It reassures me hugely that a DEVO tribute act not only exists, but thrives. The world can't be all bad after all :)
[/quote]

Hah. All I'll say is that I'm glad we aren't doing it for the money, but it definitely beats my other other day job playing in tapas restaurants.

I'm amazed at how well it goes down - lots of people turning up in costume and regulars travelling around the country to see us. I think the record is Leeds to London at the moment, bless him. For those who are interested: [url="http://youtu.be/XtX3sGeBrSA"]http://youtu.be/XtX3sGeBrSA[/url]