Rack power strip powercon inlet

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jus Lukin

It's only Time 'n' Space, but I like it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

I have found a 6-way rack power strip (uk mains outlets) with accesible IEC inlet which would be fine for my requirements, however, I can't seem to find one with a powercon inlet.

Does anyone know of a 6/8-way rack power strip with powercon inlet available? They're so rare I'm wondering if I've missed some practical reason why they aren't possible!

Thanks, Andy

Would like to buy: Sansamp RPM and VT-RM!!! Anyone looking to sell?

Feedback HERE

#2 EBS_freak

Those bubbles aren't coming from the snorkel...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

It's because you are either in the powercon pro camp or not. Why specifically do you want to mix IEC with powercon?

Theres no real reason why they wouldn't be possible... but the call would be very low.

#3 Jus Lukin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Well, the rack gear all has IEC inputs, and there will be other outboard gear requiring standard three-pin mains outputs to be plugged in. The arrangement would be 3 items in the rack permanently plugged in and a handful of others plugged into the strip at gigs (power to floor effects, small PA for pubs, etc), so a strip of three-pin outs is ideal.

The Powercon inlet is just a sturdier connection. I can be pretty safe with a downward facing right-angled IEC connector, but my thinking was to pay a few quid more and get the tougher connector. No so simple, it seems!

Feedback HERE

#4 Jus Lukin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

In fact, just in case I'm not describing it well:

This, with a powercon instead of the IEC inlet...

Attached File  monthly_10_2017/post-5292-0-50491900-1507641266.jpg   147.24K

Feedback HERE

#5 EBS_freak

Those bubbles aren't coming from the snorkel...

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

Why not change the plugs for powercon connectors and go for a complete powercon solution?

#6 Jus Lukin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

I'd need to carry spare powercon to IEC cables for anything which might end up plugged into the rack strip, and the Visual Sound One-Spot power supply couldn't be plugged into it.

Three-pin outs are far more useful and flexible.

Feedback HERE

#7 BigRedX

RockinRollin VampireMan

• Members
  • 12,688 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

View PostJus Lukin, on 11 October 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

I'd need to carry spare powercon to IEC cables for anything which might end up plugged into the rack strip, and the Visual Sound One-Spot power supply couldn't be plugged into it.

Three-pin outs are far more useful and flexible.

If you have the One-Spot connected to your rack mounted power distribution unit, I hope you have it either glued permanently into place or at least held firmly in using cable ties or similar. Because the "earth" prong is there only to open the live and neutral shutter on the mains socket, it is slightly undersized which means that the PSU doesn't sit tightly in the socket like a standard 13amp plug.

Mine vibrated loose mid way through a set killing the power to my wireless receiver at the front of my signal chain and the Thumpinator at the end. Because of where it was in the rack, it was impossible to reach to plug back in without requiring a screwdriver to remove the distribution board. So I played the rest of the set with all my effects disabled and the bass connected directly to the amp. As soon as I had found and bought an alternative the One-Spot was replaced with a PSU that connected via a standard 13amp plug and which has been faultless. By the time I came make the change the One-Spot had already started to work its way out of the socket again.

Proceed with caution.

My Music:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Jus Lukin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

Thanks BigRedX, noted.

My last couple of racks had a 4-way mounted flat, so gravity has been on my side! Only drawback was the jolts while the little bugger held a charge after unplugging! :D

Feedback HERE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users