Why become a member? ×

Gig 17 days after carpal tunnel surgery???

chrisanthony1211

I didn't have surgery after all, as the cortisone shots worked well enough, but was warned that six weeks would be a minimum; six weeks of being unable to move the wrist without destroying the work that had been done, and further damage, too. I'd suggest getting a dep in for your gig whilst there's still time.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1507673987' post='3387235']
I had a gig the day after I had the stitches out. Which was about 2 weeks post op. I didn't have any complications and the operation went very well. Of course we are all different and heal at different rates. So best to play it by ear.
[/quote]

That’s reassuring, I plan on playing the gig (and not going to hell...)

No. Seriously, don't even consider it. Even if your wrist felt match-ready (which after 2.5 weeks I'm pretty sure it wouldn't), it won't be. I've had both mine done and didn't play in earnest for a good six weeks afterwards. Rest it properly, do your exercises, ease back in and don't push it, otherwise you could bugger it up forever.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1507702383' post='3387274']
I hate cancelling gigs (it sends you straight to hell...) I spoke with the nurse and she said that they encourage movement to prevent excessive scar tissue build up, apparently playing bass is good post op physio for carpal tunnel.....
I'm hoping that as long as there are no complications I should be ok.
[/quote]

I'd take the advice of the medical professional!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1507711023' post='3387336']
I'd take the advice of the medical professional!
[/quote]

+1.

OP...granted it is not pleasant to have to cancel a gig, ( you could always get a stand in) but at least there will be others. If you don't take the advice of the medical people, you may do permanent harm...and then there WONT be others.

I had almost the exact same experience in 2011. Had right wrist surgery at the start of November and played a gig mid-month. actually found it a much less painful experience then previous gigs leading up to the surgery had been. Almost as soon as I'd had the surgery I found my plucking hand loosened up a hell of a lot and I've had no problems with it since. However, I wasn't able to put any pressure on my right palm for over 6 months (the docs had already told me this so it wasn't a surprise).

The advice above about waiting it out is fairly sound. If you play hard, you are likely to do damage to the repairs.
Ask your surgeon and show him the expected wrist movement. He may say stop til you can do some exercises without REAL pain.

I had a shoulder operation (right shoulder / right handed) at short notice on August 11th and I confirmed with my surgeon first exactly what I would be able to do afterwards. I ended up with us missing 3 gigs. Venues understood. I don't cancel gigs for anything, but sometimes you have no choice.

Have they said you can't drive for a period? You should ask about that.
That follows some operations.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1507790139' post='3387904']
I will see what the surgeon has to say, the advice seems to be to use it as much as is comfortable,
[/quote]

All well and good..BUT....but let's say that half way through the first set and your hand becomes UNcomfortable.....?????? :scratch_one-s_head:

Anyway...it's your gig...and your hand(s) !! Hope things go well for you.

there are no tendons going across the wrist, what they are cutting is a thickens piece of fascia/tissue which is the roof of the tunnel which allows the nerve to 'breathe' as for some reason things have gotten a little tight in there.

as asked before Is it open or endoscopic surgery - this affects the recovery profile and scarring

I'm with Rich on this. Fair enough , if it was a once in a lifetime opp to do Wembley Stadium or something I might be tempted but there's no shortcut for time , and if you push it you could end up with permanent damage. I have played injured - broken finger etc and strapped up with cracked ribs but that was different to an invasive procedure. There was minimal risk to me , just pain.

If it was a longer gap to the next booked gig I'd suggest having a dep prepped and maybe sharing the gig. Easy does it.

Hope you get a good cutter.

10 days is quite son to drive mate, part of the problem is the when you bend you wrist back to hold the steering wheel, that exact motion exacerbates the problem you had, and increases the pressure inside the carpal tunnel.

On NO accounts should you do any heavy lifting with that hand for a minimum of 4 weeks, absolute minimum.
I am assuming you play right handed (sorry lefties) being your picking/plucking hand having it down for long periods will result in swelling so you need to elevate it, you may also find your fingers a little more clumsy initially after the surgery, and some people do suffer from a hypersensitive scar.

You need to be very careful, a gig is a one off, you hand is for life