Why become a member? ×

Squier JV P bass project

prismrock2003

Hello,

I recently picked up a Squier JV p bass project that needs a bit of work. Well a lot of work really. It’s had a hard life. I’ll try to get some pics up later to show you the extent of work it’s going to need.

Anyway. The bass isn’t complete. I’m missing a pickup and bridge. As well as finish and frets but more on the latter two later.

How do people feel about the original pickups? Now there is a set of JV bass pickups on eBay that I was thinking of getting but it’s a PJ set and I have no need for a jazz bridge pickup. Or would I just be as well getting an after market set? Fender or Seymour Duncan etc.

I’m not too worried about getting a replacement bridge but does anyone know if the hardware is nickel or chrome?

None into the finish and frets. During its earlier years someone has covered it to a fretless. Not the greatest job but I will covert it back to fretted at some point. The previous owner told me he started to remove the finish so it could be refinished easier. I don’t know why. My question is, is it worth refinishing in an original colour? I’m not looking to sell it at all but just in case in years to come I fancy something else what would people prefer?

Anyway let me know what you think and I’ll try to get some pictures up later or tomorrow.

Cheers

Michael

I'd check out the wood under the finish and, maybe, make it "natural". Otherwise, I'd use whatever colour you like. After all, you're not looking to sell.

Maybe someone can move this to the "Build Diaries" section?

http://basschat.co.uk/forum/15-build-diaries/

Pickup depends whether you want a 'vintage' P sound or something a little hotter/modern. Original JV pickup will give you the former, the a Dimarzio (I really like the model P) will give you the latter.
Take it back to fretted, finish in a 60's Fender custom colour of your preference, job done.

Si

Hi [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/11664-prismrock2003/"]prismrock2003[/url]

How about a MM style pickup in the bridge position with a three way toggle switch to give you a choice of single coil, both coils in series or both coils in parallel? At least I think that's how the MM pickup wiring works.

Also... Predictive text or autocorrect?

Edited by mark76

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1507724362' post='3387468']
Pickup depends whether you want a 'vintage' P sound or something a little hotter/modern. Original JV pickup will give you the former, the a Dimarzio (I really like the model P) will give you the latter.
Take it back to fretted, finish in a 60's Fender custom colour of your preference, job done.

Si
[/quote]

Agree with Si. It depends on what sound you're after?
Also, re the finish - or "to refin, or not to refin?" - it also depends on what look you're after
A bare wood finish might be the best option in any case - I know good quality repaints can be very expensive
Then you're down the path of - what colour? Original Squier CV colour, or something else?

Pics would really help inform BC'ers as to what choice they'd make in this instance too

I would also get it re-fretted too
Good luck with this project :)

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1507879344' post='3388446']
JV P/J pickups? I am not sure there is such a thing as a JV in P/J configuration. I'd be wary of paying too much for that.
[/quote]

Good spot! Beware!!
Unless it's a JV P & a JV Jazz bridge.....but that would be quite odd, someone would have put then together, won't be a stock set.

Si

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1507879344' post='3388446']
JV P/J pickups? I am not sure there is such a thing as a JV in P/J configuration. I'd be wary of paying too much for that.
[/quote]

Yes, good spot Steve. I had read that it was a P/J or going to be a P/J
To the OP - if it's a body without the routing / cavity for an extra pickup - I think I'd leave it alone, and not add the pickup
If it's already got the extra cavity, that's fine - but I'd be careful what I paid for it. The additional cavity will surely devalue the bass
and by even more, if it's not a tidy job...

I had a really early JV which was all original other than the pickup had been switched for a Seymour SPB-1 or whatever they are called. Managed to pick up an original JV pup complete with the raised A pole pieces - it made the bass "all original"
But.... I much preferred the Seymour pups and regretted swapping them, the JV were slightly more vintage sounding but the seymours were far far better sitting in a mix

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1507964807' post='3388994']
I had a really early JV which was all original other than the pickup had been switched for a Seymour SPB-1 or whatever they are called. Managed to pick up an original JV pup complete with the raised A pole pieces - it made the bass "all original"
But.... I much preferred the Seymour pups and regretted swapping them, the JV were slightly more vintage sounding but the seymours were far far better sitting in a mix
[/quote]

I still have it - sounds fantastic. To my knackered old ears the original pup has more bite than the SPB-1, which I have had in other basses, and a richer sweet spot so from my perspective I am glad you swapped it! :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1507965982' post='3388997']
I still have it - sounds fantastic. To my knackered old ears the original pup has more bite than the SPB-1, which I have had in other basses, and a richer sweet spot so from my perspective I am glad you swapped it! :)
[/quote] I found the SPB-1 could get me a great grindy type tone off the maple neck, live really nice. The original I think would sound better on record? Ach ignore me Paul has the bass now so trust his ears over mine.
Hope you're still enjoying the bass? - I went for a while without a P type bass, tried a BB1200 and have a 1981 G&L L1000 for my P bass type tone. Amazing bass but miss having a fender P sometimes!

I wouldn't necessarily trust my ears over anything :) I think it is probably more about how subjective tone is at the end of it all.

And, yes, nothing like a Precision. I have migrated to 5 string basses (but will still keep the JV) and have tried several things but none are quite exactly the same. Fender 5 string Ps are too heavy and the necks too wide. I have ordered a Mah-roos-chick (can't spell the actual word) 5 string Jake so hopefully that will be the end of it.

Sorry about the late reply. I’ve been stupidly buying another JV project. That one is a strat though and I’m not sure anyone would be interested in that on here.

As you can see from the attached pictures the bass needs a lot of work. (You may want to wash your eyes out afterwards). You may also notice that it doesn’t have a jv neck plate. Don’t worry I do have it just haven’t had time to pop it on.

Thanks for all the responses. They do help a lot. And thanks for the heads up on the JV PJ pickups I’ve seen on eBay. I think I’ve come to the decision that there isn’t much point in restoring it to original. I think I’ll just get a nice pickup and paint it in a fender custom colour.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Michael

Looking at it - I'd definitely try a light sanding, then a coat of some sort of sealant... is Nitro an option for you?
I'm not necessarily a fan of natural finish on basses - but I think this one could look great. I just think it's nice with Rosewood board and that tort plate
Definitely get it re-fretted though

It's a nice project to have in the pipeline :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1508163978' post='3390165']
Looking at it - I'd definitely try a light sanding, then a coat of some sort of sealant... is Nitro an option for you?
I'm not necessarily a fan of natural finish on basses - but I think this one could look great. I just think it's nice with Rosewood board and that tort plate
Definitely get it re-fretted though

It's a nice project to have in the pipeline :)
[/quote]

Yeah a nitro finish is what I was thinking of doing.

A refret will definitely happen at some stage. I might string it with flatwounds before that to see what it’s like. (Having never played a fretless or flatwounds)

[quote name='Pea Turgh' timestamp='1508164655' post='3390171']
Did the scratchplate get sanded too? Looks weird.
Was it together enough to play, or did it arrive disassembled? If it’s a good player and you had it for a good price, screw the retail/collectibility!
Some sort of off white would look nice.
[/quote]

No that’s just a combination of crap photo and dirt. It was stored in pieces in a garage somewhere. Off white would be nice or maybe just black with the tort guard. (Maybe black and a mirror pickguard ala Phil lynott)

Wish I'd come across this in a garage! lol
Lately, I've got a bit of a hankering for a Squier JV Precision :)

Keep us posted on progress
BTW. If you've never tried a fretless, or flatwounds - I'd definitely recommend every bass player has a fretless to dabble with once in a while...
Re flats - you may be surprised at just how high the tension in some flats is..... They can be quite "heavy" and hard to play
Try looking at LaBella Low Tension flats (I forget the number) or for the lowest tension flats Thomakstik Infeldt (TI Flats) are incredibly low tension - but expensive

• 2 weeks later...

I did a similar thing a while back: recovered my old JV from a guy who had borrowed it for 20 years...

It was in a dreadful condition, so I stripped mine down back to wood and found it had a lovely grain pattern so had it refinished in transparent black. I also put a new black scratch plate and proper Fender knobs on it. The neck was twisted and had been badly refretted too, so I sourced a Japanese P57 neck from on here and use that instead.