Why become a member? ×

Opinions on this pick guard please, just out of curiosity.

leschirons

Recently bought this SUB5 from a member sans pick guard. I'm not usually a tort fan but went for it this time as I think it really works with the Matt black

The five people who've seen it all said yuck! I love it which is all that matters but wondered if I've broken some little known bass law😂

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1507745111' post='3387712']
...wondered if I've broken some little known bass law...
[/quote]

I'm afraid you're under arrest. Tort and black is an illegal combination, as I'm sure you well know, sir...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1507746162' post='3387724']
...black or white...
[/quote]

+1 Given a black bass, it's a black or white guard. If you want something exotic, gold is acceptable... at a pinch...

Edited by discreet

Tortoiseshell is a bit Marmite, to employ an old cliché.

Personally, I've never seen a bass or guitar that I thought it looked good on.

Which, I'm pretty sure, makes any opinion I may have on this particular combination entirely invalid.

Sorry for posting.

Carry on.

Edit,

Having said that I think black and mint, or an even darker shade of green always looks smart.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1507746620' post='3387733']
...I've never seen a bass or guitar that I thoight it looked good on.
[/quote]

The problem is, there's tort and there's tort. Most modern tort is rubbish and looks like sliced salami. The only acceptable tort is genuine period vintage tort OR Spitfire tort. The 3-D tort that looks as if you could lose yourself in it... Mmmm, real tort...

[url="https://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/pictures-and-styles/"]https://spitfiretort...res-and-styles/[/url]

And then only on a white, cream, vintage white or sunburst bass... and possibly Shoreline or Firemist Gold under certain circumstances. Tort should never be seen on any sort of blue, black, green, purple or red bass. With the possible exception of Fiesta Red, but only if its VERY faded.

Edit. IMHO, of course. :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1507746773' post='3387734']

And then only on a white, cream, vintage white or sunburst bass... and possibly Shoreline or Firemist Gold under certain circumstances. Tort should never be seen on a blue, black, green, purple or red bass. With the possible exception of Fiesta Red, but only if its VERY faded.

[/quote]

There's a whole other thread to be had on illogical aesthetic preferences.

Personally I really don't like a sunburst finish on a Precision or Jazz, but I think it suits a Stratocaster perfectly.

I couldn't even begin to explain why....

Anyway, enough thread derailment.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1507747356' post='3387739']
...I really don't like a sunburst finish on a Precision or Jazz, but I think it suits a Stratocaster perfectly. I couldn't even begin to explain why...
[/quote]

I like sunburst on vintage basses with 'real' tort, but I don't like modern sunburst finishes. As far as a Strat goes... well that's a guitar so therefore it's irrelevant what colour it is. :D But yes, there's no explaining preferences really.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1507746773' post='3387734']
The problem is, there's tort and there's tort. Most modern tort is rubbish and looks like sliced salami. The only acceptable tort is genuine period vintage tort OR Spitfire tort. The 3-D tort that looks as if you could lose yourself in it... Mmmm, real tort...

[url="https://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/pictures-and-styles/"]https://spitfiretort...res-and-styles/[/url]

And then only on a white, cream, vintage white or sunburst bass... and possibly Shoreline or Firemist Gold under certain circumstances. Tort should never be seen on any sort of blue, black, green, purple or red bass. With the possible exception of Fiesta Red, but only if its VERY faded.

[/quote]
Some of the Spitfire ones do look nice, but, crikey, they are [i]not[/i] inexpensive!

I got a clear one and stuck a bunch of differing beer bottle labels underneath stuck on cardboard and cut to the same shape as the pick guard - that's on a blue flower precision with red dice for knobs , pink furry strap.

The worst that can happen is the punters remember the daft sod with the offensive T shirt and the stupid bass - they forget the player with the stock one that other players admire.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1507745111' post='3387712']
Recently bought this SUB5 from a member sans pick guard. I'm not usually a tort fan but went for it this time as I think it really works with the Matt black

The five people who've seen it all said yuck! I love it which is all that matters but wondered if I've broken some little known bass law
[/quote]

I had a mate - Spadge was his nick - who, in a drunken stupor, dropped his freshly bought pizza onto the pavement. He bent down, and scooped the toppings back onto the pizza base as best he could, and then proceeded to eat it anyway.

It looked *a lot* like that scratchplate :o

[quote name='Lysdexia' timestamp='1507760898' post='3387861']

I had a mate - Spadge was his nick - who, in a drunken stupor, dropped his freshly bought pizza onto the pavement. He bent down, and scooped the toppings back onto the pizza base as best he could, and then proceeded to eat it anyway.

It looked *a lot* like that scratchplate :o
[/quote]

😂😂