Ashdown fan club

16 replies to this topic

#1 scrumpymike

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:Basses (especially Gibsons and other quirky shorties) and bikes (the ones with engines)

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

In a recent post on another topic recounting how generally pleased I was with the RM 500 EVO I'd bought from a fellow BCer, I included the following negative comment:

"Only thing I can fault is the relatively noisy fan - not really a problem in the gigs I do but is that normal?"

This was picked up by Ashdown, who promptly posted an offer to replace my fan foc, acknowledging that a few amps did go out with noisy fans before the problem was sorted. To cut a short story even shorter, I gratefully accepted the offer, sent the amp back to Ashdown, they received it yesterday - and it was delivered back to me THIS MORNING complete with a new fan!!! The fact that Ashdown took the trouble to monitor this forum and volunteered a free fix to an owner who didn't even buy the amp new is just astonishingly, astoundingly, unbelievably awesome: respect! (Btw the fan is now as quiet as on any amp I've ever owned.)
Basses
Fender Classic Player Rascal
Hohner The Jack active - FOR SALE!!
Maruszczyk s-s Elwood Custom 4a
Mensinger Cazpar 4p
Amps
Ashdown RM-500-EVO
Eden WTX264
Genzler Magellan 800
Trace Elliot AH300 SMC GP7 - FOR SALE!!
Cabs
Barefaced: Super Compact Gen 3; One10 (x2)
TE 115300 - FOR SALE!!

#2 LewisK1975

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Yep - I had a similar experience with them, excellent customer service.
Bass Player for Last Flight to Pluto - www.lastflighttopluto.com

My Feedback here:- http://basschat.co.u...for-lewisk1975/

#3 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Ashdown are excellent :)

#4 BassBod

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

I must get my Retroglide fan changed - they say they can fit a quieter one. Good to hear there is a noticeable difference 😎

#5 Raslee

The rain in Spain falls mainly on....Devon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  • Interests:Bass & sleeping :)

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostBassBod, on 12 October 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

I must get my Retroglide fan changed - they say they can fit a quieter one. Good to hear there is a noticeable difference ��

^^^^Me too. And as mine was a Andertons ex-display model there was an EQ knob missing (30Hz) - I must contact Ashdown to see if I can get another. Otherwise, a surprisingly superb amp that I recently A/B against my LM2 & OTB (see amp sandwich below :lol: ),....and I have to say, to my surprise, the Ashdown was my easily my favourite to my ears.

Posted Image
Muzik:
An Electronica thing to generate the GAS,
...and a few reggae & soulful deps that create stomach GAS.
Stix:

1979 Fender Precision
Andre VanderEnd J + OB3 pre
Cort GB5 Custom + JE pre
Harley Benton Jazz fretless
NS WAV EUB
Noyzes:

Line 6 HD500x & Zoom B3
Ashdown RetroGlide 800
Orange Terror Bass 500
Markbass LM2
Markbass 104HF
2 x Markbass Travelers 102P

Ashdown Mag 1x15"

My Basschat Feedback.

#6 Painy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

It's a shame I wasn't on Basschat years ago (in fact this would have been before there was a Basschat).
I had a MAG head which I bought new from what was then Academy of Sound in Norwich (later to become Sound Control and more recently PMT). It had a fault that meant it kept burning out the on/off switch. Unfortunately the shop just kept replacing the switch instead of trying to fix the root of the problem. Ended up trading it back in because I was sick of it and it put me off using Ashdown ever since.
If I'd been able to mention it on Basschat at the time to get this kind of service directly from Ashdown, I might have kept using them and saved myself a load of money over the years as I just picked up an ABM500 in a trade on here and the sound is absolutely epic. I'd say its completely cured my amp GAS if I didn't keep finding myself looking online at the CTM300 now. :D
Squier Vintage Modified Precision V, Sunburst/Tort/Maple.
Fender Modern Player Jazz V. Olly White/Black/Rosewood.
Sterling SUB Ray 5. Trans Blue/Black/Rosewood.
Harley Benton HTR-PJ5 Deluxe, Hotrod Red/White Sparkle/Rosewood.

Ashdown ABM500rc head.
Trace Elliot AH350 GP12 SMX head.
2X Aguilar DB112 cabs in Chocolate Thunder.

EBS Octabass
EHX Steel Leather
Joyo Roll Boost
MXR M80 Bass DI+
Palmer Deepressor
Palmer Ubertreiber
Pearl Noise Suppressor
Snark Pedal Tuner

My Feedback: http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3027031

#7 naxos10

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:40 AM

I agree with Raslee on the Retroglide. It's a very versatile piece of kit which allows you to get a wide variety of sounds out of it via the graphic style controls.

#8 BassBod

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

BTW - has anyone else got a white peak input LED on their Retroglide? Something tells me it should be red....or is it just me...

#9 lowhand_mike

general whipping boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

I've been impressed with my ashdown gear ever since i bought the mag 300 2x10 combo. moved up to a mag 300 head and 4x10 cab then the head got sick and would drop sound when playing live (must get it to a tech to have a look at as it would make a great back up) so bought an RM 800 and that is awesome, you'd never know it was class D other than its size. Definate fan boy cant see myself using anything else to be honest.
https://themisguided2.wixsite.com/themisguided

https://soundcloud.com/the-misguided

Ibanez SR1805 NTF
Ibanez SR500
Ashdown Rootmaster RM 800
Ashdown Mag 300 EvoIII head (poorly)
Ashdown Mag 4x10 deep cab

"Its ham and eggs, we could have ham and eggs if we had some eggs. If only we had some ham."

#10 scrumpymike

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:Basses (especially Gibsons and other quirky shorties) and bikes (the ones with engines)

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

Not sure why it's taken me this long to get an Ashdown head given that it represents the real continuation of the Trace Elliott brand that I played - and loved - for decades. Maybe it's just that amp technology had moved on I felt the need for something different. For whatever reason, they never presented themselves to me as a desirable piece of kit - but they certainly do now. Ashdown seem to have managed to embody the spirit of the old TE stuff while evolving to keep up with the changing market. My active Maru' Elwood sounds particularly sweet (to my ears) thru the RM + BF Super Compact.
Basses
Fender Classic Player Rascal
Hohner The Jack active - FOR SALE!!
Maruszczyk s-s Elwood Custom 4a
Mensinger Cazpar 4p
Amps
Ashdown RM-500-EVO
Eden WTX264
Genzler Magellan 800
Trace Elliot AH300 SMC GP7 - FOR SALE!!
Cabs
Barefaced: Super Compact Gen 3; One10 (x2)
TE 115300 - FOR SALE!!

#11 bootros

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

I've only just started using Ashdown amps and am more than happy with the sound I get with my Precision, seems to suit it perfectly well and the character of the bass comes through clearly. The best thing is the used prices. I guess many are not happy with the weight, fair enough, but I'm not fussed and am picking up bargains here and there. Just got a home use only - super clean - 300 1x15 combo and, from another seller, super clean 1x15 extension cab for a total price of £120. Both on Ebay, both collection only due to the weight which makes it a buyers market if you can be patient enough to wait for a local seller.

#12 2elliot

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Old BMX bikes...

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

bootros, on 13 October 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

I've only just started using Ashdown amps and am more than happy with the sound I get with my Precision, seems to suit it perfectly well and the character of the bass comes through clearly. The best thing is the used prices. I guess many are not happy with the weight, fair enough, but I'm not fussed and am picking up bargains here and there. Just got a home use only - super clean - 300 1x15 combo and, from another seller, super clean 1x15 extension cab for a total price of £120. Both on Ebay, both collection only due to the weight which makes it a buyers market if you can be patient enough to wait for a local seller.

Nah... don't be patient. Buy my ABM600 EVO IV in the for sale section.
Warwick Streamer Stage 1
Warwick Star Bass Pro Series - For Sale £750
Yamaha BB300 MIJ. For Sale £175
Trace Elliot 1225v
Ashdown EVO IV 600
Barefaced 410

#13 Woodinblack

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Oh.. stuff..

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

I have an old EVO 300 (I think) that I like the sound of (not keen on the fan, don't think it is faulty, just louder than some), but was impressed by ashdown when I had to replace the knobs, they were really cheap so I bought loads more.
I got that as a spare amp - I have the TC450 for normal gigs. Its a bit big and because of the fan a bit noticable, so I bought a little MiBass 220, as I thought it was small and handy to have at home. It is small and handy but I just can't really get a decent sound out of it at home, and it is too gutless for a gig. Should really put that on here or ebay really. Although not selling it well :D
Maruszczyk Elwood5/24
Ibanez SR5005, SRFF805, SR1605, SR1000EWM, SRF705, SRC6, ATK305, ICB08
Squier CV P Bass,
Epiphone Thunderbird Classic iV
Hohner B2,
G&L2500
Roland GR55
.. and lots and lots of guitars

Amps and cabs by those lovely TC Electronic people

Feedback

#14 Maude

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

I was turned the volume up on my LB-30 Drophead and the knob came off in my hand. I still have the knob but don't know where the rest of the rig went.
I wonder if Ashdown could send me a free replacement?
:D

#15 TheGreek

..Seeking enlightenment..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts
  • Interests:...Winning or Inheriting a lot of money...

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

There seems to be much love for the Ashdown brand because of the great customer service...just what I wanted to hear!

Following my thread about the Superfly turning itself off, I contacted Ashdown and got a reply within minutes inviting me to send them the head with an assurance of a free service and repair. (Hope this includes a quiet, reliable fan to avert the issues with overheating or TBH any solution that works).

I sent the amp off midweek and it arrived this morning at Ashdown HQ. I had asked Mark Gooday to confirm it's arrival, no sooner said than done and the Service Engineer, Guy, also sent an email confirming it's arrival, that he'll be having a look at it early next week and would keep me apprised.

From what I'm reading, it looks like Ashdown are taking on board how companies need to be customer focused and are looking after their clientele.

I'm now really looking forward to the return of my Superfly which was recommended by a respected Pro player, and confirmed by Scrumpymike, because of the similarity to the Trace Elliot tone.

Here's to a great working relationship between Ashdown and BC members...

I value everybody's opinion...especially when it's the same as mine

For Sale:

http://basschat.co.u...iot-headscombo/

http://basschat.co.u...500-with-cover/

See what others have to say: http://basschat.co.u...k-for-thegreek/

#16 mrtcat

Total member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Interests:Bass, snowboarding, kitesurfing and building stuff

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

Any company that offers the kind of customer care that Ashdown clearly do will definitely get my interest when I'm in a position to buy. I don't really use backline that much but would definitely consider Ashdown if / when I do need something. It's really good to hear how great their service is.

#17 TheGreek

..Seeking enlightenment..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts
  • Interests:...Winning or Inheriting a lot of money...

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3193807

I value everybody's opinion...especially when it's the same as mine

For Sale:

http://basschat.co.u...iot-headscombo/

http://basschat.co.u...500-with-cover/

See what others have to say: http://basschat.co.u...k-for-thegreek/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users