Why become a member? ×

Ashdown fan club

scrumpymike

In a recent post on another topic recounting how generally pleased I was with the RM 500 EVO I'd bought from a fellow BCer, I included the following negative comment:

"Only thing I can fault is the relatively noisy fan - not really a problem in the gigs I do but is that normal?"

This was picked up by Ashdown, who promptly posted an offer to replace my fan foc, acknowledging that a few amps did go out with noisy fans before the problem was sorted. To cut a short story even shorter, I gratefully accepted the offer, sent the amp back to Ashdown, they received it yesterday - and it was delivered back to me THIS MORNING complete with a new fan!!! The fact that Ashdown took the trouble to monitor this forum and volunteered a free fix to an owner who didn't even buy the amp new is just astonishingly, astoundingly, unbelievably awesome: respect! (Btw the fan is now as quiet as on any amp I've ever owned.)

• Like 3

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1507829637' post='3388276']
I must get my Retroglide fan changed - they say they can fit a quieter one. Good to hear there is a noticeable difference
[/quote]

^^^^Me too. And as mine was a Andertons ex-display model there was an EQ knob missing (30Hz) - I must contact Ashdown to see if I can get another. Otherwise, a surprisingly superb amp that I recently A/B against my LM2 & OTB (see amp sandwich below :lol: ),....and I have to say, to my surprise, the Ashdown was my easily my favourite to my ears.

It's a shame I wasn't on Basschat years ago (in fact this would have been before there was a Basschat).
I had a MAG head which I bought new from what was then Academy of Sound in Norwich (later to become Sound Control and more recently PMT). It had a fault that meant it kept burning out the on/off switch. Unfortunately the shop just kept replacing the switch instead of trying to fix the root of the problem. Ended up trading it back in because I was sick of it and it put me off using Ashdown ever since.
If I'd been able to mention it on Basschat at the time to get this kind of service directly from Ashdown, I might have kept using them and saved myself a load of money over the years as I just picked up an ABM500 in a trade on here and the sound is absolutely epic. I'd say its completely cured my amp GAS if I didn't keep finding myself looking online at the CTM300 now. :D

I've been impressed with my ashdown gear ever since i bought the mag 300 2x10 combo. moved up to a mag 300 head and 4x10 cab then the head got sick and would drop sound when playing live (must get it to a tech to have a look at as it would make a great back up) so bought an RM 800 and that is awesome, you'd never know it was class D other than its size. Definate fan boy cant see myself using anything else to be honest.

Not sure why it's taken me this long to get an Ashdown head given that it represents the real continuation of the Trace Elliott brand that I played - and loved - for decades. Maybe it's just that amp technology had moved on I felt the need for something different. For whatever reason, they never presented themselves to me as a desirable piece of kit - but they certainly do now. Ashdown seem to have managed to embody the spirit of the old TE stuff while evolving to keep up with the changing market. My active Maru' Elwood sounds particularly sweet (to my ears) thru the RM + BF Super Compact.

I've only just started using Ashdown amps and am more than happy with the sound I get with my Precision, seems to suit it perfectly well and the character of the bass comes through clearly. The best thing is the used prices. I guess many are not happy with the weight, fair enough, but I'm not fussed and am picking up bargains here and there. Just got a home use only - super clean - 300 1x15 combo and, from another seller, super clean 1x15 extension cab for a total price of £120. Both on Ebay, both collection only due to the weight which makes it a buyers market if you can be patient enough to wait for a local seller.

[quote name='bootros' timestamp='1507916233' post='3388821']
I've only just started using Ashdown amps and am more than happy with the sound I get with my Precision, seems to suit it perfectly well and the character of the bass comes through clearly. The best thing is the used prices. I guess many are not happy with the weight, fair enough, but I'm not fussed and am picking up bargains here and there. Just got a home use only - super clean - 300 1x15 combo and, from another seller, super clean 1x15 extension cab for a total price of £120. Both on Ebay, both collection only due to the weight which makes it a buyers market if you can be patient enough to wait for a local seller.
[/quote]

Nah... don't be patient. Buy my ABM600 EVO IV in the for sale section.

I have an old EVO 300 (I think) that I like the sound of (not keen on the fan, don't think it is faulty, just louder than some), but was impressed by ashdown when I had to replace the knobs, they were really cheap so I bought loads more.
I got that as a spare amp - I have the TC450 for normal gigs. Its a bit big and because of the fan a bit noticable, so I bought a little MiBass 220, as I thought it was small and handy to have at home. It is small and handy but I just can't really get a decent sound out of it at home, and it is too gutless for a gig. Should really put that on here or ebay really. Although not selling it well :D

There seems to be much love for the Ashdown brand because of the great customer service...just what I wanted to hear!

Following my thread about the Superfly turning itself off, I contacted Ashdown and got a reply within minutes inviting me to send them the head with an assurance of a free service and repair. ([i]Hope this includes a quiet, reliable fan to avert the issues with overheating or TBH any solution that works[/i]).

I sent the amp off midweek and it arrived this morning at Ashdown HQ. I had asked Mark Gooday to confirm it's arrival, no sooner said than done and the Service Engineer, Guy, also sent an email confirming it's arrival, that he'll be having a look at it early next week and would keep me apprised.

From what I'm reading, it looks like Ashdown are taking on board how companies need to be customer focused and are looking after their clientele.

I'm now really looking forward to the return of my Superfly which was recommended by a respected Pro player, and confirmed by Scrumpymike, because of the similarity to the Trace Elliot tone.

Here's to a great working relationship between Ashdown and BC members...

Any company that offers the kind of customer care that Ashdown clearly do will definitely get my interest when I'm in a position to buy. I don't really use backline that much but would definitely consider Ashdown if / when I do need something. It's really good to hear how great their service is.

• 7 months later...

I like their amps and have the regular ABM 600 head. Those blue-coned speakers are hard to find in the States. I substituted an Eminence Beta 10 when I bought a 610 cabinet and it seems fine so far. Would I like a Retroglide  when I go lightweight ? I use no effects.

You've got to hand it to them. They are very supportive of this forum, but not in an in-your-face-buy-me way,  and their service support is legendary. This has to be applauded in an age where many companies think that a website FAQ can substitute for friendly and knowledgeable support staff. I can't imagine there are many bassists who haven't used their products and some are better than others, but I'm currently very happy with one of their amps.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to talking to Ashdown last week about the loud fan in my Retroglide.  Spoke to Dave Green..he thinks the fan is ok, but the amp should really be in a bigger case, but he said send it in and there were things that could be done.  Got it back this morning, fan is much less intrusive now, and certainly won’t be heard even in very quiet situations.  No charge, just the cost of posting the amp in.

So much better than phoning retailers/distribution and getting passed around...in one call I spoke to someone that knew exactly what was inside my amp 😎

• Like 2

I started off with a MAG300, on top of MAG 210 and RM115 stack. Never a hitch. Great Sound. Moved on to an RM420 head. A bit of a learning curve to get a good sound, but it served me well and never let me down. It is now my reserve amp, giving pride of place to a RM800 Evo which is superb through my Barefaced Super Twelve. No Ashdown product has ever let me down, so thankfully I have never needed their customer service, except for the one time I was sent the RM115 completely free of charge, as a Valentines day thank you for buying one of their products!! Don't you just love'em?!

Edited by ChrisJaxon