Why become a member? ×

La Bella 760FM Thru Body Strings - did I buy the right set?

dustandbarley

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]Hello folks,[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]I'm seeking some advice about which LaBella's I should be buying for a "strung thru body" Fender Precision. I bought the above set for a thru body strung Fender Precision, but have a few reservations. Firstly, the silk winding on the E string is oh so close to the nut - is this really how they should be? Also, unfortunately the D string snapped before it reached pitch - the suppliers kindly said they would send another, which I'm happy about, but after reading all the warnings about fitting ordinary La Bella's to through body bridges, I'm wary now this has happened to the strings supposedly designed for the job... [color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000]I am a big fan of Labella flats and have them on my 70’s Precision, Jazz, Mustang and Musicmaster basses, although the Mustang is the only one with a thru body bridge. I am very careful when installing new strings, I pulled the strings through the back of the body and whilst holding them on tension, pushed the strings from the bridge base, over the saddle with my finger before tensioning them ensuring there are no twists in the string. [/color][/size][/font]

Anyone else wearing these strings on a through body strung Fender or similar? Or should I buy something else next time around / when the replacement D breaks on installation? :unsure: :unsure:

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1507913753' post='3388803']
Don't string them thru body?
[/quote]Its a 68 re-issue with a 2 saddle bridge. But nice idea. I’m toying with fitting a modern Fender bridge with both options. Just wondered what others did?

Edited by dustandbarley

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1507924159' post='3388890']
That photo looks absolutely fine to me. The silk is not on the 'speaking' portion of the string.
[/quote]Thanks JapanAxe - as you mention, its working ok, just different from normal, and its not as if either the bass or strings are uncommon so I thought the strings would have a bigger gap between the nut and silk... Many thanks

• 1 month later...

i bought the La bella flats for mustang and going through body the D and especially the G barely make it over the nut - the G winding is about a mm over the nut - i rang string supplier and they said they'd bring it up with La Bella rep ut havent heard anything -  this was about october 17

As above yours look fine to me - Much more above nut than mine  - the g is slightly damped - but i play a lot of palm mute - but hoping will get replacement strings!

IMG_1347.jpg