Why become a member? ×

Fender/Squire vi Bass and others...

Nothingman

Hi,

I know there are other posts on the variety of vi basses, but as I have just returned to playing I wanted to get the lowdown on what is out there.

Back before I initially gave up playing I really wanted a Fender VI but just never got around to it. Recently I spent a few hours playing my mates Squire VI which had the tremolo removed (massive bonus), custom teal/aqua paint job with matching headstock and fender decal, I loved playing it and would've been perfect for the stuff I am doing now. Sadly he has just sold it for a good price, and I have got a real hankering for one now (well in the new year maybe).

What are everyones experiences with them and the alternatives out there? I think the Squire is very overpriced off the peg and second hand market is pretty limited and therefore prices again driven up.

Ideally I'd like to get one that is a bit of a cosmetic project and do something really interesting with the paint job, glitter and garish!

Has anybody got a comparison against something like a Harley Benton one or similar. Always loved that style and not seen many other VI basses that get my juices going.

Or, just post pictures of what you've got to give me something to look at until this afternoons kick off.

Will

Edited by Nothingman

The squiers used to be a good price - £290 when I first got mine, and so everyone put up with the fact that they were seriously built down to the budget as with a few quid you could make them good. Unfortunately now everything has gone up they are not the bargain they were. however, there are a lot around, I have had 2 (one at that price and one because it was a bargain and I missed the first).
I have got the ibanez 6 but it is much more a guitar that is an octave down than a bass, so not a true comparison.