Why become a member? ×

offered festival slot, politely declined, whatcha think?

skidder652003

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1508156820' post='3390100']
Normally I'd avoid it, but if you can negotiate free food, free drinks and want to see the headliners why not?
[/quote]yep, and not far to travel, I get awful fuel consumption towing my caravan :lol: We have got quite a few paying gigs because of doing the local Rock and Bike festival, so even if you're a covers band it can be worthwhile, speculate to accumulate and all that

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1508145905' post='3389991']
God dont let anyone see that, its gone nuts, Im keeping well out of it, talk about stirring up a hornets nest, I won't be doing that again!
[/quote]

Ha Ha - i saw that!!!! Its gone properly wonky - something about a fella chatting up someones missus last time i looked. Totally forgot what the original post was about by the time id got to the end. Good entertainment.

And regarding the OP - in particular circumstances i would do it. If it meant getting the bands wives and kids away for a few days break in reasonable accommodation and just having a short break and a giggle whilst nipping out for a couple of hours to do the gig it could work for me. It sounds like its local and if you're not turning down paid work on that date then why not???

I've done a few down in Cornwall where admittedly we were paid but used them as a weekend away with family/friends and the pay subsidised the costs of accommodation and food/beer. Always made a loss on the whole trip but usually had a great weekend. We used to gig on the Saturday night in Perranporth and drop into a charity fair in Redruth on the Sunday afternoon and do a freebie there for 90 mins. The charity gig made me feel like i'd helped someone out somewhere and was good for the soul. Mix in a few days on the beach and walking with the kids and dogs and it was a fun few days.

If its just a promoter trying to get a cheap act so they can profiteer and i got absolutely zip from it then i wouldn't.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1508148171' post='3390008']
Ah yes, [i]Exposure[/i], that well-known alternative currency. As accepted by supermarkets, petrol stations and gas/electricity/water suppliers worldwide. ;)
[/quote]

We used to get quite a bit of work by playing weddings. Obviously we were getting paid but the EXPOSURE of playing in front of other people that were getting married got us a lot of work.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1508156003' post='3390084']
Accept, and show great enthsiasm and gratitude.
Cancel one hour before you're due to arrive and tell them your sponsor has let you down.
[/quote]
Ooh you evil wicked man.
Brilliant :lol:

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1508169598' post='3390222']
Ever the sceptic, but I would be stunned if all of these bands were performing for free:

FRIDAY
7.00 - 8.00 BRAVER THAN FICTION
8.30 - 9.30 REECE
10 - CLOSE SYKKO DOLLS

SATURDAY
12 15 PM - 1.00 ETHYFIELD
1.20 - 2.05 QUORUM
2.25 – 3.10 LITTERMOUTH
3.30 - 4.15 FALL FROM PERFECTION
4.35 – 5.20 NO GLORY
5.40 – 6.40 EVYLTYDE
7.00 - 8.00 WHITE COAST REBELS
8.20 - 9.30 ARAMANTUS
10.15 - CLOSE WHITESNAKE UK

SUNDAY
1.30- 2.15 LANDSPEEDER
2.35 - 3.20 JETBLACK 3
3.40 - 4.25 FALLING APART
4.45- 5.30 BLACK TREE SUNS
5.50- 6.50 REPAIR TO RUIN
7.10 - 8.10 THE LOVED AND LOST
8.30 - 9.30 KING OF SOULS
10 - CLOSE HOLLOWSTAR

That was posted today, but this remains on the home page....

'Growing from strength to strength each year we are fastly becoming one of Devons biggest charity festivals and attracting some very generous sponsers along the way.'

I may be reading a little too much into this, but going by some of the band names, I doubt they are doing it for exposure so they get a few wedding gigs next year.

Sounds like promoters chancing their arm trying to get a cheap line-up filler to me.
[/quote]

I may as well top myself now. I've not heard of any of these bands.😂

Unless Whitesnake UK is actually Whitesnake and not one of those tenuous connection things and has David Coverdale's ex window cleaner on drums.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1508169598' post='3390222']
Ever the sceptic, but I would be stunned if all of these bands were performing for free:

FRIDAY
7.00 - 8.00 BRAVER THAN FICTION
8.30 - 9.30 REECE
10 - CLOSE SYKKO DOLLS

SATURDAY
12 15 PM - 1.00 ETHYFIELD
1.20 - 2.05 QUORUM
2.25 – 3.10 LITTERMOUTH
3.30 - 4.15 FALL FROM PERFECTION
4.35 – 5.20 NO GLORY
5.40 – 6.40 EVYLTYDE
7.00 - 8.00 WHITE COAST REBELS
8.20 - 9.30 ARAMANTUS
10.15 - CLOSE WHITESNAKE UK

SUNDAY
1.30- 2.15 LANDSPEEDER
2.35 - 3.20 JETBLACK 3
3.40 - 4.25 FALLING APART
4.45- 5.30 BLACK TREE SUNS
5.50- 6.50 REPAIR TO RUIN
7.10 - 8.10 THE LOVED AND LOST
8.30 - 9.30 KING OF SOULS
10 - CLOSE HOLLOWSTAR

That was posted today, but this remains on the home page....

'Growing from strength to strength each year we are fastly becoming one of Devons biggest charity festivals and attracting some very generous sponsers along the way.'

I may be reading a little too much into this, but going by some of the band names, I doubt they are doing it for exposure so they get a few wedding gigs next year.

Sounds like promoters chancing their arm trying to get a cheap line-up filler to me.
[/quote]most of them will be, Whitesnake UK will be getting something maybe Hollowstar not heard of them though, but looking at the line up there won't be many there so a waste of time playing for free for these events to succeed they need a few headliners to draw people in not just a Whitesnake tribute.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1508147114' post='3390003']
That's a little different, [b]you[/b] usually have to pay to support major artists, and it would potentially be good exposure, rather than playing a holiday camp in the off-peak season.
[/quote]

My bands support major artists very occasionally. Usually for free or for "ticket deals" that don't make very much. Always make a killing on merch :)

the idea behind these events is good, if done correctly, gives the holiday camps extra venue during the off season, just been to Butlins alternative weekend (punk really) top names in the genre and tickets from £90 for the weekend, the place was full up, everybody happy. but it seems that this one is being done on the cheap, it won;t be a good outcome me thinks,
oh btw Butlins have an introductory stage and if I understand correctly the bands get £100 for playing but no weekend accommodation just get in for the day they are playing.

Edited by PaulWarning

Yes we played the introducing stage at Butlins last year, Paul, and won, so were fortunate enough to play the main stage this year - what a blast that was. So sometimes doing something on the cheap can really be beneficial, a case of speculate to accumulate, as long as you`re well structured and focused you can really make these events work for you.

It doesn't sound like its the first time they have done this so maybe it will work out ok for the charity itself, if not for the bands. I guess if those bands booked arent getting paid then that's their choice. They get a gig out of it and possibly a good weekend away. Best not let Blue see this :-)

I'd do it if it didnt clash with a paid gig. I depped a couple of years ago with a band that did one of these (on a smaller scale). i learnt a lot of new (to me) songs and didn't get paid. Had one of the best gigs in a long time and it was a great day out. I made the choice and i was happy with the outcome. cant really see what the fuss is about. dont want to do it, dont do it. Life really is that simple until someone starts a thread about it no here, then he soap boxes come out and all hell breaks loose :-)

They do a few of these every year. I think there’s a Blues weekend, a punk one and folk one as well. I think Fairport Convention headed the folk one.

Some of the bands on the list might not be being paid. I know a few of them and they’d play at the opening of a birthday card.

I seem to remember a band I was once in got offered a gig where there was no fee because the headliners ‘needed to be paid’. We didn’t bother

Being run for "various charities" means it's impossible to view the registered charity that would normally be heading it up to help decide if it's something I'd support.

Many charities use something like "75% of the profit goes to the chosen charity guaranteed", so after they've paid themselves handsomely and paid their buddies over the odds for all the services required the organisers still feel the need to dip their fingers in the pot and take another 25% just for shits and giggles.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1508230503' post='3390602']
It doesn't sound like its the first time they have done this so maybe it will work out ok for the charity itself, if not for the bands. I guess if those bands booked arent getting paid then that's their choice. They get a gig out of it and possibly a good weekend away. Best not let Blue see this :-)

I'd do it if it didnt clash with a paid gig. I depped a couple of years ago with a band that did one of these (on a smaller scale). i learnt a lot of new (to me) songs and didn't get paid. Had one of the best gigs in a long time and it was a great day out. I made the choice and i was happy with the outcome. cant really see what the fuss is about. dont want to do it, dont do it. Life really is that simple until someone starts a thread about it no here, then he soap boxes come out and all hell breaks loose :-)
[/quote]
How Rude! Nothing wrong with Soap Boxes and all Hell Breaking Loose now and again!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1508234934' post='3390656']
Being run for "various charities" means it's impossible to view the registered charity that would normally be heading it up to help decide if it's something I'd support.

Many charities use something like "75% of the profit goes to the chosen charity guaranteed", so after they've paid themselves handsomely and paid their buddies over the odds for all the services required the organisers still feel the need to dip their fingers in the pot and take another 25% just for shits and giggles.
[/quote]

It's being so cheerful that keeps you going Pete.........