Why become a member? ×

offered festival slot, politely declined, whatcha think?

skidder652003

Recieved this email last night, politely declined as Im not a fan of covers bands playing for free, but as we know thats another topic completely! Just wondered what you guys /gals would have done?

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] "Hello. My chairman and I was wondering if you could play for us at our Ilfracombe Rocks festival. The date would be 3 November in Ilfracombe north devon at Ilfracombe Holiday Park. [/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately we are unable to pay you as our sponsor has let us down at the last minute. We have an opening slot at 5.45pm.[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If you would be interested we would be able to offer you accommodation for the Friday night tho.[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]We will look forward to hearing from you.[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Regards V*****y[/font][/color]

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1508140076' post='3389924']
That's a bit outrageous really. Its not a free or charity festival by the looks., In a holiday park, so they'll be making off the accommodation costs too. Best avoided.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. If it had been a charity event, fair enough

Imagine the response of the holiday park if you sent them the following letter:

"Hello, my friends and I would love to have a holiday in your park" Unfortunately, none of us has been paid for quite some time, as that's what venues seem to think is acceptable these days."
"If you would be interested, we can offer to play for you for one night in the bar"
We look forward to your response

Of course, there are some who would see this as a free night in a holiday park - but it depends on how far you all have to travel, and the logistics (how many cars? how much petrol? Lugging amps etc) Up to you of course, but I'd avoid, unless you were getting free accommodation and any monies raised were going to a worthy cause....

As No.8 Wire says - they've got paying guests, so they're making money. Sounds like a band has pulled out (probably due to the sponsor) If they really want a band, even a small fee plus accommodation and a bit of food / drink would be something.

EDIT: If a band does in fact accept this - the holiday park will probably think that's what they deem acceptable practice in future

Edited by Marc S

we play a couple of festivals like this, the headliners get paid but the minor 'make up the numbers' bands just get a free weekend out of it, depends on your attitude and the opinion of the rest of the band really, we enjoy the piss up and watching the other bands

Any Rock festival will be charging tickets. Usually they have various packages available ie day tickets, weekend tickets and weekend with accomodation packages.
They will be making a significant profit otherwise they wouldn't bother running it.
They do mention that their sponsor has let them down and that might have been the original organiser and maybe the holiday park themselves are now trying to put something together at last minute to keep the festival alive.
No matter what the reason they should still be paying even a minimum agreed amount as its not a charity gig.

Pretty sure some up and coming young unknown rock band looking for some recognition with fee accomodation thrown in might think this is a good opportunity to play and use it as a free rehearsal gig. Saves paying £30 for a 3 hr rehearsal i guess.

Think it depends on why you play. This is back to the old "playing for fun and not for money" arguement.

Dave

It`s not a bad gig at that venue, we`re playing there later in November. It`s one of those things, play for nothing but if you`ve got good merch and want to spread the word then you can make it work for you. Given your locality it might be a gas, and with free accommodation have a good social at the same time, given the performance time. I`d take it, and look at it as a fun day out.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1508139791' post='3389917']

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Hello. My chairman and I [s]was[/s] [b]were[/b] wondering if you could play for us at our Ilfracombe Rocks festival. The date [s]would[/s] [s]be[/s] [b]is[/b] 3 November in Ilfracombe ...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Kind regards
The Grammar Nazi :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by MoJo

To my mind the only thing that is 'free' is for them. You're providing free entertainment for their paying guests. It'll cost you money to get there, then there's your time. Your time [b]has[/b] to be worth money. You'll be using your equipment, amps, guitars etc.

Sorry but this thing really annoys me.

How about, 'hey we need people to come along and clean tables, wash up, mop the floors after our party, we can't pay but you'll get free accommodation, look at it as a free holiday'.

Everyone else will be getting paid, security, bar staff, cleaners, so why not you?

Tell 'em no.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1508145821' post='3389989']
Saw your post on FB about it.
They are charging £30 a ticket FYI so a freebie is out of the question IMHO!
[/quote]
God dont let anyone see that, its gone nuts, Im keeping well out of it, talk about stirring up a hornets nest, I won't be doing that again!

yep another play for free argument, there's no right or wrong just how you feel about it, and as Lozz says there's always exposure and merch sales especially if you're an originals band. I bet if a support slot with a major artist came up with no payment most on here would jump at it

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1508146787' post='3390000']
I bet if a support slot with a major artist came up with no payment most on here would jump at it
[/quote]

That's a little different, [b]you[/b] usually have to pay to support major artists, and it would potentially be good exposure, rather than playing a holiday camp in the off-peak season.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1508147114' post='3390003']
That's a little different, [b]you[/b] usually have to pay to support major artists, and it would potentially be good exposure, rather than playing a holiday camp in the off-peak season.
[/quote]it was an exaggerated example to make a point but if you're a relatively unknown originals band you have to take opportunities to get your name out there and playing festivals, and even smallish ones is one way of doing it, chances are you'll get to play in front of a lot more people than you do down the Dog and Duck on a Wednesday night

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1508148171' post='3390008']
Ah yes, [i]Exposure[/i], that well-known alternative currency. As accepted by supermarkets, petrol stations and gas/electricity/water suppliers worldwide. ;)
[/quote]they spend a fortune on advertising to get exposure