Why become a member? ×

Rack case for wireless receivers

bonzodog

May be a daft question but I have a wireless Mic and I want to house the receiver in a 2U rack case along with a media player. The depth of the receiver is only 150mm and the shallowest racks I can find are 250mm front to back. The aerials on the receiver are on the back of the unit and I assume need to be upright when connected. (All pics I have seen show the aerial pointing up) Therefore there isn't a rack case short enough to allow the aerials to point upwards when fitted into the rack.
Is it okay to have the aerials lying horizontal out of the back of the case or do I need to try and find a shorter case?

Straight from Shure themselves.

[color=#4B4B4B]To ensure good diversity performance, space antennas apart by at least one-quarter of a wavelength (about 5 inches at 600 MHz). The receiver antennas should be angled apart in a wide “V” configuration, which provides better pickup when the transmitter is moving around and being held at different angles.[/color]

You normally get BNC connector extension cables such that the antenna can be mounted to the front of the rack, either as part of the rack ears themselves, or a separate panel with bnc holes punched in order to mount the antennae. Alternatively, the manufacturer may assume that if you are rack mounting, you are using a distro system.

Are the aerials fixed in your setup? What is your system?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1508153337' post='3390060']

Are the aerials fixed in your setup? What is your system?
[/quote]

It's one of these I picked up off eBay
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_systems/6bc6d93a774d761d/index.html

I can get the rack ears to mount it in the rack and the aerials once connected can be angled in any direction. The shallowest rack I've seen would mean they would have to lie flat

The rack mount hardware should have been included along with extension cables. [url="http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/accessories/fd59f8444291c167/index.html"]This is the kit, if you don't have one.[/url] You can see the cut outs in the blanking plate for mounting the two antennae in the front of the rack beside the unit.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1508157290' post='3390105']
The rack mount hardware should have been included along with extension cables. [url="http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/accessories/fd59f8444291c167/index.html"]This is the kit, if you don't have one.[/url] You can see the cut outs in the blanking plate for mounting the two antennae in the front of the rack beside the unit.
[/quote]

Great that answers my question. Thanks !

I had similar problems with my old Trantec. I had the proper rackmount plate but nothing for the aerials. In the end I made my own remote aerial kit from half a 1U blanking plate, some BNC sockets and a BNC cable off eBay, plus drilling and soldering and lots of swearing. It turned out ok in the end and worked a treat!

• 3 weeks later...