Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Deluxe Active Jazz

Machines

Like all the best purchases, this was on a whim.

I had Saturday to myself and a moderate GAS itch. I popped to GuitarGuitar Birmingham and they had a superb collection of Fender Js. I had been lusting after a 4 string Jazz for a couple of weeks after selling my Lakland 55-60 a few months ago, but wanting a 4 string replacement as my Bongo is the ultimate 5 string for me.

On the hooks was a rather snazzy looking natural ash Jazz with maple neck and blocked inlays. I love the Marcus Miller look (apart from the extended pickguard) so this looked very appealing. I asked to demo this along with a standard MIM (CAR, maple neck) for comparison.

The setup on the Deluxe was a little disappointing, pickups and action too high so it was hard to get stuck in. The Standard was a lot better, so I asked for a few tweaks to make the Deluxe playable which the shop were happy to oblige in a few minutes.

After this - everything fell into place, the preamp was not overly powerful and quite usable at it's extremes (unlike the crazy Bongo preamp). I was getting instant classic tones from every pickup combo and I rather quickly was smitten. Took it home after did final tweak setup (damn those imperial sized bridge screws !) but now it is [b]perfect[/b].

Sorry for the library image:

• 2 months later...

I’ve just bagged myself one of these too. It’s beautiful, build quality is very good and it sounds amazing, everything I want a Jazz bass to be. I love having a master volume / blend configuration which for my requirements is perfect. 

Like the OP said the action was too high off the shelf but after a bit of tweaking I’d made it go from playing adequately to playing amazingly. I had to buy a 3/16th Allen key, all of mine are metric too. 

I’ve gigged it and am really pleased with it, a keeper I think.

E0EB1E6D-7380-43B1-AA91-8A4C3CD3918A.jpeg