Why become a member? ×

Android App for organising songs and set lists.

The Saint

Hi

Like a many musicians, I have all my songs printed out and kept in various folders. I have now realised that I've been left behind by technology and there are easier/better ways to do this.

I have to use chord charts, mainly as a prompt for live use and music stands (sorry...!!) just don't look right, even when I try to cover them with band posters.

I've got several hundred songs and just can't remember them all. The joys of getting close to being an OAP... All songs are stored on my Mac as PDF's.

Recently, my lead guitarist bought a 12" tablet (Chuwi Hi12) running Android and Windows and I decided that the time was right to join him in a leap into the 21st century. A few days later I had to ask him to leave the band so my potential tutor in using a tablet isn't around to help me...!

I've been looking at the various apps available, but thought you guys might be able to narrow down my options. I use a Mac and an iPad daily, but can't afford/justify buying the larger iPad to suit my eyesight.

So Android/Windows it is...

There are several older threads about this, but I think there may be newer apps around that I should consider.

I need something that will be simple to upload my PDF's and use live. If it can transpose songs, that would be really useful but not essential. I would want to use a Bluetooth pedal to scroll or change pages, but I think they all do that. I'm not particularly IT literate, so simple is the key.

Pretty sure we all have our own preferences, but some advice on which app to try out would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

Thanks. I've just looked at their website and it has some great features, but maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post.

Being a singist, I have all my songs stored as lyrics with the chords printed over the top. The video I've just watched shows a format that I'm not familiar with, just showing chords.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, if so apologies...

[quote name='The Saint' timestamp='1508333583' post='3391420']
Thanks Blink, but it's Apple only. I was using it on my iPad, but found the screen wasn't big enough.

Good app though...
[/quote]

You probably already know this but you can make to font bigger and it works very happily on a cheap iPad 2

I use a combination of Mobile Sheets and iRealPro on my Android tablet.
If it is just chord charts then I prefer iRealPro, because it is dead easy to transpose songs at the drop of a hat.
But for stuff that has to be PDF then that's when I break out Mobile sheets.

"You probably already know this but you can make to font bigger and it works very happily on a cheap iPad 2"

Yes thanks, I was aware of that. It's a balance between the screen and font size. I just couldn't get the font big enough on the 10" screen of my iPad. I've seen a 12" tablet and I can get the font size I need, without too much scrolling/page turning.

As a bonus the rest of the band might go down this route and they are not keen on changing to Apple stuff. For the sake of simplicity, I think Android is the way to go for me.

It'll be a swift learning curve after years of being on the Apple train....

Once you've got your software up and running and all your sheets loaded up, consider getting a blu-tooth pedal to "turn the pages". It will seem like a hugely unnecessary luxury but you can't underestimate how useful the ability to page turn with a tap of your foot while keeping both hands on your instrument can be. So much more smooth than trying to swipe quickly before you miss a beat.

Thanks Trevor. That was one of the things I really must have, but I think all the software I've looked at has that facility.

So far I've looked at SongBook, Setlist Maker and Mobile Sheets as well as the others mentioned above. It's getting a bit confusing to be honest, trying to asses them on the basis of internet reviews.

As they're not too expensive, I think I might just try a few and bin the ones I don't take to...!

• 3 years later...

Nice thread. Ressurected.

Have just downloaded the free Mobile Sheets app and had a play.

Going to try it out with a handful of songs at practice and see how I go.

Great that I can write out a chart in my pad and then just take a photo of my chart. Got to be easier than flipping backwards and forwards in my pad and trying to read it in the dark. 

Works fine on my phone and it's only needed for a few simple 4 chord songs. 😆

Edited by TimR

On 19/10/2017 at 20:39, The Saint said:

"You probably already know this but you can make to font bigger and it works very happily on a cheap iPad 2"

Yes thanks, I was aware of that. It's a balance between the screen and font size. I just couldn't get the font big enough on the 10" screen of my iPad. I've seen a 12" tablet and I can get the font size I need, without too much scrolling/page turning.

As a bonus the rest of the band might go down this route and they are not keen on changing to Apple stuff. For the sake of simplicity, I think Android is the way to go for me.

It'll be a swift learning curve after years of being on the Apple train.... 

Look at the Apple Refurb store. There’s always a bunch of iPads on there at reduced prices. Even Amazon has them. 
Especially as you already have OnSong and are familiar with Apple hardware etc. . A 12” first gen iPad Pro is ideal, but older models will do the job. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mr Edge. 

I love the Chuwi tablet when it works. Unfortunately, it's just not reliable enough to use for live work. 

With virtually no gigs for nigh on 2 years, it's all taken a back seat. 

So still no further forward the situation, but I'm hoping that I'll get more focussed once I start gigging regularly.

I'd love a large screen iPad, but can't see me affording one anytime this side of a lottery win...