Why become a member? ×

Can anyone build me a bass neck?

discreet

[b]Can anyone build me a bass neck?[/b]

There are loads of resources and links to resources here on BC obviously, but I'm too lazy to wade through them. What I want to know is, can you build a bass neck to my specifications?

All the usual providers of aftermarket necks just don't supply exactly what I'm looking for. There is one place in the States, but it's quite expensive and there could be issues with importing a neck with a rosewood board - and there are other issues with import duty, shipping costs and so on that I'd rather avoid.

So how about it?

Edited by discreet

Could do worse than contact Mike Walsh of Zoot fame. He's not too far out of London - Silver End, near Witham, just up the A12. He's got a Facebook page you can contact him through. He did precisely the same for me a few years ago and made me a spare, fretted neck for my Les Evans fretless.

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1508254903' post='3390901']
Could do worse than contact Mike Walsh of Zoot fame. He's not too far out of London - Silver End, near Witham, just up the A12. He's got a Facebook page you can contact him through. He did precisely the same for me a few years ago and made me a spare, fretted neck for my Les Evans fretless.
[/quote]
+1 for Mike (Zoot) Walsh.

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1508254903' post='3390901']Could do worse than contact Mike Walsh of Zoot fame.[/quote][quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1508586368' post='3393101']+1 for Mike (Zoot) Walsh.[/quote]

Thanks very much, I have contacted him through his FB page and await a reply. I've also contacted one or two other people that members have been kind enough to suggest, so thanks again.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1508626361' post='3393466']
Any particular style of neck?
[/quote]

One-piece maple, 34" scale, 7.25" radius, 1.75" nut width, truss rod adjustment at heel, walnut skunk stripe, walnut headstock plug. Black dot fret markers, standard Fender-size tuner holes and heel width. A late 50s P Bass neck, in short.

OR...

The same, only with a rosewood slab board, clay dots and no skunk stripe. Early 60s type, basically.

Edited by discreet

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gabriel1918

I tried a Status neck on my Jazz bass and it was absolute kak. I know you mentioned import duty and parasite taxes etc but Warmoth in the US made me a beautiful neck to order and it's the best sounding neck I've played. Superb quality too. Mind you, the GBP exchange rate isn't great at the moment. Hope you find the right luthier.

[quote name='Gabriel1918' timestamp='1510047004' post='3403395']
Warmoth in the US made me a beautiful neck to order and it's the best sounding neck I've played.
[/quote]

Yes, heard good things about them. Trouble is, I'm going through a rare Jazz phase and am in two minds about the project now. No doubt I'll come to my senses in the fullness of time, as I usually do. :rolleyes: