Why become a member? ×

Eminence Front bass?

40hz

I love this track and especially the bass-line. Just curious if anyone knew what it was John Entwhistle recorded it with? I'm presuming around this era it may have been an Alembic?

Edited by 40hz

Curse you, I've just wasted 15mins on this. Loved it but ended up not getting his timing (tried drumming to it and there seems to be an extra beat somewhere) so I had to go and listen to the song (live version so different bass line) I'm now going to have to have a phone call to my drummer. I'm supposed to be doing some work. :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1508313885' post='3391213']
Curse you, I've just wasted 15mins on this...
[/quote]

Ditto, but with a different outcome. Empty pedestrian funk with no 'lift' nor 'sparkle'; a drumming nightmare, seemingly never-ending. The Toronto 'live' (is the term 'live' really applicable to this dead beat..?) shows it up for what it isn't; a bad bastard child of Baba O'Riley and James Brown. I shan't be proposing this number to our band; what little reputation I have left I'd like to keep. Not The Who's finest hour, I'd suggest.
What's that you say..? Did I like it..? No, I didn't. :mellow:

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1508270263' post='3391060']
I love this track and especially the bass-line. Just curious if anyone knew what it was John Entwhistle recorded it with? I'm presuming around this era it may have been an Alembic?
[/quote]

Yes, very much an Alembic Series bass. Entwistle had a few so not sure which exact one - live he was playing the Explorer-shape ones but in the studio it may have been a different matter.
But yes, classic Alembic running in stereo.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1508325149' post='3391345']

Yes, very much an Alembic Series bass. Entwistle had a few so not sure which exact one - live he was playing the Explorer-shape ones but in the studio it may have been a different matter.
But yes, classic Alembic running in stereo.
[/quote]

Excellent, thanks Cosmo!

I actually really love the ominous simplicity of the bass line in conjunction with that amazing Piano-like tone, it sound so mean! and then the widdlier bits from 2:00 on, lovely and twangy!

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1508328430' post='3391375']
Excellent, thanks Cosmo!

I actually really love the ominous simplicity of the bass line in conjunction with that amazing Piano-like tone, it sound so mean! and then the widdlier bits from 2:00 on, lovely and twangy!
[/quote]

It's amazing isn't it? IIRC the isolated part is not the one on the original release - the CD reissue in the 90s used a different take. I haven't heard the original Vinyl version so can't confirm.
I do like that album, though it is an acquired taste to put it mildly! It's an Alembic masterclass throughout.