Why become a member? ×

Sire marcus miller p7

patrikmarky

I think they've only just come into stock in Europe in the last week, although they've been available in the US for a couple of months.

There are at least 2 youtube reviews I've seen, both of which were very positive.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a fretless P7 in the next couple of months, assuming they don't sell out as fast as the V7s did when Thomman got their first batch in.

Edited by Cato

Had a Sire v7 Jazz for a short while. It was a 5 string which I moved on becuase I couldn't get on with 5 strings - nothing to do with the bass itself.
Build quality and sound is excellent for the money - knobs are a bit cheap feeling. Tuners were fine
A lot of bass for the money and very well finished

Edited by ricksterphil

Unless there's other options...i only play precision style bass's now ...ive got a sandberg and a schecter both have the p style front with a humbucker style on the bridge but i have a hankering for the j style at the bridge pup..seems the only bass in that price bracket as sandbergs and schecters have gone through the roof :(...though id love a usa fender deluxe in a 5 but there like hens teeth ..

Edited by Dad3353

is marcus miller particularly known for playing a P bass ? -_-

I think Sire are milking the name a bit. All their basses are 'Marcus Miller' basses. Not that they aren't good, just that i dont see the connection other than the first wave of V7's Edited by Dad3353

Without the Marcus Miller endorsement Sire would just be another Far East manufacturer making budget/mid range Fender clones.

As it is the impact and traction they've gained in the global market in a very short period of time is pretty jaw dropping for a new player in the manufacturing market.

I agree, they have done really well, but I just think its milking the MM collaboration now. Still, if it works fair enough. Wouldn't put me off buying another Sire.

The Marcus Miller link would not help them if the instruments weren't good, just look at what happened to the Flea basses. I suspect most people buying Sires don't care particularly about MM. Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

The Marcus Miller link would not help them if the instruments weren't good, just look at what happened to the Flea basses. I suspect most people buying Sires don't care particularly about MM.

Agreed, especially as they cant see him playing anything other than the 4 string V7 he promotes. Still, his name has got them the exposure they needed and word of mouth did the rest. Bloody good basses, and at least at the start for amazing prices. Shame the price has crept up since they came out, but now word is out I didn’t think it’s going to hamper sales much. Edited by Dad3353

The Marcus Miller link would not help them if the instruments weren't good, just look at what happened to the Flea basses. I suspect most people buying Sires don't care particularly about MM.

I'm actually a bit anti signature instruments.

If I do end up buying a fretless p7 or v7 I'll be quite tempted to file his name off.

It's not that I don't like Marcus, as far as I'm concerned he's a complete genius, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of anyone thinking I'm trying to be him or copy his style, which of course I couldn't do in a million years anyway. Edited by Dad3353

It's not that I don't like Marcus, as far as I'm concerned he's a complete genius, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of anyone thinking I'm trying to be him or copy his style, which of course I couldn't do in a million years anyway.

I felt like this when I first got my V7. I had a few comments about my playing in relation to Marcus. Luckily it was from mates who were just having a laugh but even so, it felt uncomfortable. I had to point out that mine was a 5 string and that’s one more than Marcus can play lol. Edited by Dad3353

I felt like this when I first got my V7. I had a few comments about my playing in relation to Marcus. Luckily it was from mates who were just having a laugh but even so, it felt uncomfortable. I had to point out that mine was a 5 string and that’s one more than Marcus can play lol.

I'm seriously considering a Sire bass and while I'd prefer if most of the models didn't have the Marcus name on it I don't think many people will actually know who he is or even be able to see it from off the stage. Luckily the basses are quite generic in appearance, it's not like it's the Gene Simmons Axe bass! Just got to choose which bass, they all look excellent and the options for lefties are superb. Edited by Dad3353

I'm seriously considering a Sire bass and while I'd prefer if most of the models didn't have the Marcus name on it I don't think many people will actually know who he is or even be able to see it from off the stage. Luckily the basses are quite generic in appearance, it's not like it's the Gene Simmons Axe bass! Just got to choose which bass, they all look excellent and the options for lefties are superb.

For additional peace of mind, I can assure you that nobody's noticed that my fretless has Tony Franklin's name engraved on it. Just as well, because my own fretless playing wouldn't fare well in a comparison with Mr Franklin. That said, most people don't even seem to notice that I'm playing a fretless, so I think you're quite safe having Mr Miller's name written discreetly on the headstock! Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

The are plenty of bass players who have no idea who he is - never mind band mates or audience members! :)

I know his name from hearing a rapper say "Marcus Miller y'all!", Googling the name and being pleasantly surprised the bassist was getting a shout out Edited by Dad3353

Why do people think that Sire are milking the name.? So Marcus had a deal with Sire, to design a jazz bass, then Marcus thought, oh f*** it, I can't be bothered to give my input to design a P bass with my name on it. I doubt it.

Any one who has an issue with his name on the headstock should get over themselves. The only person who cares about it, is the player. Its just an instrument at the end of the day, make it your own.

• Like 1

Why do people think that Sire are milking the name.? So Marcus had a deal with Sire, to design a jazz bass, then Marcus thought, oh f*** it, I can't be bothered to give my input to design a P bass with my name on it. I doubt it.

Any one who has an issue with his name on the headstock should get over themselves. The only person who cares about it, is the player. Its just an instrument at the end of the day, make it your own.

yep spot on its a very good instrument for a very decent price end of..

Edited by Dad3353

Yeah, he probably thought the same about the microphones and the headphones as well.

My thoughts are my own so get over it and accept this sort of thing is allowed. Edited by Dad3353

Sorry Dave you lost me at the start of your post.

Can't speak for him but I think he might be saying that since Sire sell headphones with his name on them that he quite possibly doesn't help design everything with his name on it.

It's not a problem they use his name - I can't imagine the ghost of Les Paul had any input on those new Epiphones that are nothing like an actual Les Paul lol Edited by Dad3353

Unless there's other options...i only play precision style bass's now ...ive got a sandberg and a schecter both have the p style front with a humbucker style on the bridge but i have a hankering for the j style at the bridge pup..seems the only bass in that price bracket as sandbergs and schecters have gone through the roof :(...though id love a usa fender deluxe in a 5 but there like hens teeth ..

You can have my Harley Benton P/J 5er if you want it Pat. xD Edited by Dad3353