Why become a member? ×

Rock/metal cover of Sancing Queen...

solo4652

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1508426426' post='3392128']
Dreadful. If you're going to rock it up do it properly, not just have a mildly distorted guitar playing over a carbon copy version of the original.
[/quote]

Yes - I agree. For me, The chugging guitar in the verses sounds very much like a grafted-on afterthought. The whole effort sounds like two pre-existing songs clumsily spliced together.

I'm sitting here trying to decide how to approach learning this. I've never played the bassline to this ABBA song, and I fully realise that it's not straight-forward at all. Knowing my band as I do, I just know that lead guitarist is going to do a Yngve all over it. In fact he's already drawn our attention to Malmstein's cover of Gimme, Gimme, Gimme which leaves me completely cold. My feeling is that if I try to recreate Gunnarson's original line, it will be too busy for the note-heavy treatment the song will get from the guys. In general, with this band (two guitarists, one of whom is a very accomplished prog-rock/jazz exponent who doesn't do "less is more", and the other who overlays his rhythm guitar with guitar synth, and BV's via a vocoder thingy), I find that I have to keep basslines simple to avoid over-egging the pudding.

All advice gratefully accepted.