Why become a member? ×

NBD: Wal fretless goodness

leroydiamond

I have had this for a couple of months now and what an impressive instrument this Wal bass is. Made in 1989, the body is shedua facings with mahogany core and ebony fretboard.
The EQ on these is terrific, offering a variety of killer tones and It is in superb condition for its year. Not sure if I will ever gig it in anger, but having great fun with it for now noodling away in my study. Though I play in a classic rock band where fretted bass is king, I will have to find some space for this to sing in our set.
It has been a long time since I played fretless, but so far the transition from fretted bass has gone smoothly. Terrific bass :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1508427432' post='3392143']
Very nice congratulations.
Must make you smile everytime you take it out of the case :)
You can always get some fretless into the band I'm sure, regardless of musical Genre
[/quote]
Sure does. Impeccable craftsmanship on display in the build and design of this bass. I love the electronics which feature low pass filters which seem to be particularly suited to fretless and the unique hand made pickups. I feel a bit of Pearl Jams 'Even Flow' might be on its way into our set :)

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1508604839' post='3393290']
May I ask Leroy, having read elsewhere on another thread that (like me) you are very aware of weight when it comes to basses, how are you coping with this beauty?

Mick Karn is my favourite fretless player too.Japan were a great band.
[/quote]

Weight is an issue and the Wal is certainly significantly heavier than my chambered Sadowsky. However I have a Gruvgear Duostrap which is terrific at spreading the instrument weight across both shoulders. Highly recommended for any players out there with a dodgy shoulder.

Plus my band have after 10 years, just finished up with our 3 hour Saturday night residency, so the gigs I do now are 2 hours or less.

I cannot imagine that I will use the Wal exclusively for gigs, more likely in combination with a fretted bass.
Then again if I was to put together a Japan tribute band, that might all change.
Though if that were the case, I am afraid that a bass player with more skill than I, would be required to get close to the terrific playing of the great Mick Karn.

[quote name='djc63' timestamp='1508697922' post='3393893']
Beautiful bass. I notice it doesn't have the usual finish on the body,which I believe to be polyurethane. Has it been refinished in gloss? Looks much nicer like that.
[/quote]
I am the second owner. The previous owner purchased it new and the finish is original

Edited by leroydiamond

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1510276380' post='3405311']

But oops, looks like one of the brass nut inserts stuck to the control plate on you!
[/quote]
I see that. The pics are from the previous owner. I will sort that later today.
So far so good with this bass. Its given me a kick in the arse in terms of practice. So much fun.

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1510311593' post='3405471']
?. Not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?
[/quote]If you look at the picture of the control plate, it seems that the brass insert has come out with the screw (bottom left as we look at it). If this is the case, it's just a case of removing the insert and glueing it back into the hole.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1510311878' post='3405474']
If you look at the picture of the control plate, it seems that the brass insert has come out with the screw (bottom left as we look at it). If this is the case, it's just a case of removing the insert and glueing it back into the hole.
[/quote]
Got it. When I saw your post a little panic set in. Asking myself "oh s@#t. Could this be a cheap Chinese knock off" :o

Edited by leroydiamond