Why become a member? ×

Any love for the banshees?

YouMa

Now its autumn and haloween i have been listening to early goth and these guys are fantastic. John mcgeochs guitar is just so underrated and the bass and drums are so tasteful. dont know. Severins bass lines are so simple and exactly what the songs needed. I wish i good stop thinking about my own playing in bands and let it breathe.

Never a big fan, liked Dear Prudence a hell of a lot, Happy House, and of course Hong Kong Garden. Incidentally, John McKay, the original guitarist is my mates brother, though in the 30+ years we`ve been mates I`ve to this day never met him.

Saw ‘em more than once in their heyday, loved ‘em. Considering they evolved from a bunch of punks bashing out the Lord’s Prayer they came a long way, as did quite a few of the original punk bands. They soon grew out of the three chord thrash and became quite accomplished musicians-the Damned come to mind in a similar vein. Arabian Nights and Israel are two of my favourites.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1508444265' post='3392323']
Mcgeogh changed the Banshees into a more commercial band, not in a bad way, but I wish he hadnt left Magazine. He wasnt happy at their lack of success so went looking for it with the Banshees.
I wish I could get into his next project, which was the Amoury Show but Richard Jobson has that Bono effect with me....
[/quote]

I've been on a bit of a Banshees tip recently - although I always preferred the first two Creatures LPs. . Their albums can be had really cheap and I get the feeling that no-one really cares about them any more. The actual sound of the McGeoch era records is pretty startling. Severin clearly wasn't a man of moderation where chorus was concerned and the combination of this and McGeoch's guitar makes for a really sick interaction. Quite extreme in a totally 80s way.

A great band no less and Budgie is one of my top 10 drummists, me also first and foremost being a drummer. He was way more accomplished than most of his contemporaries. Juju and Kiss in the Dreamhouse are the two best albums with Tinderbox ad close third. McGeogh was a very inventive player and a nice contrast to most other around at the time who were just bashing out major chords and widdly solos. Severin's lines did the job just fine though he needs to be remembered more as a principal songwriter and Siouxsie created a look and sound which has been ripped off endlessly but never bettered

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1508492587' post='3392518']
A great band no less and Budgie is one of my top 10 drummists, me also first and foremost being a drummer. He was way more accomplished than most of his contemporaries.
[/quote]
He has a very unique technique (check out the 7 Year Itch DVD), something like a giraffe playing drums, but very effective; The drumming on the live version of Cities in Dust from that DVD is amazing. Never caught The Creatures live but their live guitarist, Rob Holliday, is a great guitarist and bass player and has played with Gary Numan, Marilyn Manson, The Prodigy, The Mission, Curve - in fact most of my favourite bands at some point.