Why become a member? ×

Remembering Paul Raven

highwayman

Today (20th October) is the tenth anniversary of bassist Paul Raven's death.
Whilst he had a varied career, it's his compositions and playing on Killing Joke's Night Time album that resonates with me more than anything; Kings and Queens, Eighties and especially the biblical Love like Blood - my favourite bassline of all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpwuRlXbhk

Saw Killing Joke twice during the 'Night time' era. Awesome album, and they were storming live, although the first time, Exeter somewhere, Jazz had his boiler suit on and warpaint, and really looked intimidating. Second time, Elephant Fayre in Cornwall, he was wearing a leather jacket, long hair and looked like Kevin Keegan! Paul Raven did a fine job on both occasions. At Exeter, as they were going offstage, some kid got onstage and was posing triumphantly. Raven came up behind him and shoved him unceremoniously back into the crowd! I think it's got a lot to do with his basslines that that album sounds as good as it does-especially on 'love like blood ', which let's face it, is all about that bass line.