Why become a member? ×

Do certain basses suit different strings?

Muppet

I'm not talking about putting flats on a precision, or stainless steels on a jazz or choosing different types depending on the sort of music that's being played, but most of us it seems have a preferred make of strings - the one that we'd always go to. as a default.

For me this has always been DR Sunbeams. Doesn't matter what type of bass, always Sunbeams. Until now. I put a brand new set on a new Sterling and instantly hated them. Put the same strings on a Precision to check and they're great. Put a set of EB Slinkys on the Sterling and it sounded fantastic.

This to me feels odd. Why don't my beloved Sunbeams work on the Sterling? I feel let down......

Very possibly, Rotosound steel rounds and Fender Precisions are it for me, but when I had a couple of Stingrays said Rotos just didn`t work for my ears, so put Ernie Ball steel rounds on them and hey, suddenly they sounded as I wanted.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1508577675' post='3393012']
Why don't my beloved Sunbeams work on the Sterling? I feel let down......
[/quote]

Depends how good your ear is and if you can tell the difference.

I've just bought a serious upgrade to my amp of many years and I'm loving it with my 10's but not my 12 's cabs. Why? It's definitely a better amp but, for me, the sound doesn't work as well as the other amp. I've had the same happen with strings.

Some parts of your signal chain have a synergy and others don't. Just one of those things that unfortunately costs you more money than you'd like to spend in order to find out. You have the solution (EB Slinkys) and now you know.

Yes, in my experience. Rotosound stainless steel roundwound's sound great on my Jaydee Basses.

After a while I changed to Bass Centre Elites (Player and Stadium series) and used them for about 10 years, but in the last couple of years' I've changed back to the Roto's.

They appear to be easier to tune and just feel a bit nicer on the fingers. I don't know? I like the red silks and they're about the same price as the Elites.

I like the look of DR's.. and have a set I've yet to try out. But they are very expensive. I'm going to record something with them on my Alembic ~ and see if they make a good match.