Why become a member? ×

TC Spark Mini - pop!

gs_triumph

Hi,
I just bought a used TC Spark Mini boost pedal.

There is fairly obvious pop when engaging it. Is that normal?

I was hoping to run it last in chain before the amp, but it would not be usable. The pop is less pronounced if I slot it in before my flanger.

Only other boost I've used is a Rodenberg LPD and that was silent.

Edited by gs_triumph

I've had no experience of the mini spark but I did have the full sized Spark Booster, and I still own a couple of other TCE pedals too, and the switches have all have dead silent when switching them on and off. It sounds like something is not quite right with the one you have bought, unfortunately. However, I'm no expert on electronics so I can't offer any insight as to what might be causing the issue.

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1508654778' post='3393510']
Thanks guys.

Sounds like this one may be faulty
[/quote]

Unfortunately so.
Are you able to contact the guy who you bought it from to see what he says?

If that doesn't get you anywhere, maybe start a thread in the repairs section to see if anyone there can help you out? For example, if it turns out to be a dodgy switch you might be able to replace it yourself.

Previous owner sez he never used it so didnt experience it doing that. Bought it new two years ago. Never even plugged it in. To be fair, it does look like it has never been touched. No glue marks, rubber feet still in box etc. Anyway, he wasnt for taking it back.

I'll be using at a rehearsal tonight so I'll see how it fairs in with the rest of the band. Easy to be picky in the house on your own. Not running it last makes difference. I'll see if it's tolerable. Only need it for one song along with the flanger so hopefully it won't be too obvious.

Pedal performed flawlessly tonight. Totally silent in switching off and on.

I was using same bass, same cables, my own head, same as I use at home, only difference is it's their cab.

I use a pedaltrain volto power supply so can't even blame the mains. (Obviously the amp is plugged into the mains)

I arrived at rehearsal first so had a chance to set up and check it before anyone else arrived.

Any ideas why it might be noisy in the house and not at the rehearsal rooms?

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1508967266' post='3395756']
Pedal performed flawlessly tonight. Totally silent in switching off and on.

I was using same bass, same cables, my own head, same as I use at home, only difference is it's their cab.

I use a pedaltrain volto power supply so can't even blame the mains. (Obviously the amp is plugged into the mains)

I arrived at rehearsal first so had a chance to set up and check it before anyone else arrived.

Any ideas why it might be noisy in the house and not at the rehearsal rooms?
[/quote]

That sounds good, hopefully it was just one of those things and won't happen again.

[quote name='funkydoug' timestamp='1509009306' post='3395935']
hope you don't mind me hijacking this...
what does the tone spark sound like? There's nowhere that says it is a tube preamp emulator, but that is my guess ... or is there something else going on?
Cheers, Doug
[/quote]

What do you mean by the tone spark???

Sorry if this is obvious, but have you checked that it’s not something about how the power is wired?

My experience went like this:

I had a large number of pedals daisy chained off a single (fairly high powered) supply.

(High powered pedals (100mA):
TC vortex mini, TC HOF mini

Mid powered
TC PolyTune mini (80mA IIRC)

And lots of low powered:
Bass Big Muff Pi deluxe, MXR bass comp, MXR bass preamp, EHX small stone, Ashdown BEF)

What I noticed was there was a massive click when switching some of the pedals (TC Vortex and Small Stone).
)

When I wired it using a new PSU (TRex Junior), I put the higher powered ones on their own isolated 9V.
And the clicks went away.

Might be worth trying, or at least run the TC spark on its own and see if that makes any difference.
I was too lazy to read the OP properly, sorry, but if it’s a full size version (not mini) then does it click when it’s powered from a battery?

HTH, ignore if not relevant

Thanks chickenjames,

I use a pedal train Volto power supply. It's essentially it's a rechargeable 9v battery with two outputs, Each has a 3 plug daisy chain plugged in. I don't think the two outputs are isolated from each other tho.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to run it in the house again tomorrow and fingers crossed it will just work... As it did in rehearsal. 🤞