Why become a member? ×

What counts as a gig?

arthurhenry

If you have an impromptu jam with your friends in front of the guests at a party in your home, is that a gig?
What about if you play bass for a few songs at the local primary school's Christmas service?
Playing in the band for a pantomime matinee and then again in the evening. Is that two gigs?
Turning up and doing a couple of songs at a jam night. Is that a gig?

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1508605125' post='3393294']
If you have an impromptu jam with your friends in front of the guests at a party in your home, is that a gig?
What about if you play bass for a few songs at the local primary school's Christmas service?
Playing in the band for a pantomime matinee and then again in the evening. Is that two gigs?
Turning up and doing a couple of songs at a jam night. Is that a gig?
[/quote]

From the OED ...

[color=#800080]NOUN, informal...[/color]
[color=#800080]A live performance by a musician or group playing popular or jazz music.[/color]

...so, yes, all the examples given are gigs; two gigs for the panto...

Personally I see a gig as a commitment to play whether money is offered or otherwise.

I wouldn't count open mics so much. I prefer to think of them as enrichment as you don't always know what's going to happen. It's interesting to read Dad's definition.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1508607298' post='3393318']
Must be a new definition of 'enrichment' I'm not familiar with. :biggrin:
[/quote]

Please bear in mind that as a musician, I have led an overly sheltered life.

I stand by my definition because life has been a bit difficult until recently and I hadn't been getting out much at all.

What do you say about OM?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1508611849' post='3393368']
I stand by my definition because life has been a bit difficult until recently and I hadn't been getting out much at all.
[/quote]

I was joking, hence the grin. OMs can be a lot of fun. Please ignore me, I'm having a weird day. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1508612078' post='3393370']
I was joking, hence the grin. OMs can be a lot of fun. Please ignore me, I'm having a weird day. :)
[/quote]

It's okay my friend. The only thing I will ever ignore is the smilies because I find them hard to understand. Then that's just me having a weird life compared to the "normals".

Keep the quips coming mate. They can't do yer for it.

I think to count as a gig it should be pre-arranged. A jam is ... well a jam. Having said that I suppose you can still jam at a gig. Certainly I don't think an OM counts, but then if you want to tell your mates you gigged, I'm not going to stop you.

Time for a drop of JD methinks

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1508605921' post='3393304']

From the OED ...

[color=#800080]A live performance by a musician or group playing popular or jazz music.[/color]

[/quote]

😂. Love that

To me a "gig" is a job, which means you get paid. You could participate in a "jam" at a club or friend's house. You could go to a "hootenanny" around a campfire. You can "woodshed" at home, or "play" a benefit. A gig is special. You're expected to set that date aside in your calender, show up and put on a professional musical entertainment, for hours specified, and expect payment in return. If anouther musician tells me that "we've" got a gig and wants me to participate, that's what I expect. If you want to call any of these examples a "gig", feel free, just don't change your terminology to your musical mates at the end of the evening in question. "Oh, when I said a "gig" I meant......."

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1508605921' post='3393304']
From the OED ...

...so, yes, all the examples given are gigs; [b]two gigs for the panto...[/b]
[/quote]

Oh no it isn't! ;) :D

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1508662153' post='3393560']
To me a "gig" is a job, which means you get paid. You could participate in a "jam" at a club or friend's house. You could go to a "hootenanny" around a campfire. You can "woodshed" at home, or "play" a benefit. A gig is special. You're expected to set that date aside in your calender, show up and put on a professional musical entertainment, for hours specified, and expect payment in return. If anouther musician tells me that "we've" got a gig and wants me to participate, that's what I expect. If you want to call any of these examples a "gig", feel free, just don't change your terminology to your musical mates at the end of the evening in question. "Oh, when I said a "gig" I meant......."
[/quote]

So it turns out there is no such thing as "a charity gig" then even after all the pages about playing for free.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1508607589' post='3393323']
A Jewish pal of mine tells me that the word gig is Yiddish and basically means 'a job' or a 'piece of work'.
Not sure if that helps this discussion, but if true, the word has a wider meaning than just music.
[/quote]

My understanding is that on receiving payment the Jewish musician would silently intone ‘ God is good’, spelling gig. And although it’s mainly used for musical work the term applies to a freelancer in any field.