Why become a member? ×

Duos

Kevin Dean

So if a venue says they only book duos I wonder how they would react if we turned up with my singer /drummer & his Roland kit & me with my Roland Gr55 all going through my PA ... should I explain to them first ? I'm thinking that they won't have a clue what I'm talking about .

Yes, I'd explain first. When folks think duo's, they don't expect drums. When they think drums, though, they think loud acoustic drums. I'd make a tape (generic term for some kind of recording) to show you can do low volume like they'd be expecting.

I'd work on the basis that most venues have no idea what constitutues a band or a duo so best to explain.
Our local pub always puts signs up saying LIVE BAND tonight only to find when we get there it's a duo playing to backing tracks.

We also turned up at a gig once and when the drummer starting taking his kit in the landlord came running over to say he didn't realise we had a drummer and was worried we would be too loud. This was despite him booking us through our Facebook page clearly showing us with a drummer.

We do duo gigs round here Kev. Most of them are duos because we're stuck in a corner and they're afternoon gigs where people are eating (Bargemans/Dairymans etc) so it is quite a quiet one. Also, 4 people splitting a duo fee is barely going to cover petrol!

Edited by M@23

Most of the clubs we used to play would book duo's purely for financial reasons. They would have a band on Saturday nights but couldn't budget for fridays as well. They often said we could have a gig as a band if we only charge for a Duo. Never really got around to that lol.