Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustang PJ question

ikay

No concrete evidence but I think it’s the pickups that throw off the overall look. I thinks it’s amazing and want to get one, but a lot of mustang fans seems to dislike the pickup config.

I can’t imagine fender going to any effort to make slight alterations to the shape, I would guess within a couple of millimetres it’s identical.

I think you're right and it's the standard bridge that's making it look different. Have to admit I wish they'd just reissued it as a regular Mustang. Had a play on one recently and the soloed P was the sound I kept going back to. The added J didn't do anything for me. Cool little bass though, I do like it.

I played one a few weeks ago and loved it, I have been searching g every day for a secondhand one. However the one I really want (apart from the capri orange) is this Sweetwater exclusive....

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/ha-e991394d1f89d327__q-85__hmac-fd9a7df0a984f82a017bd8630bdd283a02e67087/images/guitars/MustBaSESFG/MX17931118/MX17931118-body-xlarge.jpg

These do look great.
I'm a convert to the P/J configuration. I've had a J added to both my P basses
The nice thing is that the option is there - if you want just pure P sound... dial the J right down to zero

I tend to get the volume i want with the P pickup, and just dial in J to suit the band I'm in, how much of It I can hear in the song / venue
To me, it adds that bit of flexibility. I don't think it distracts or detracts from the appearance of the instrument - but can understand how it might, for those wanting a more traditional appearance
I would say to anyone thinking of buying one - try the P/J configuration before discarding the idea - you may like it

I think the shape of the body is the same as the old versions. There is no beveling so that feels different. I don't miss the old 70s Mustang with racing stripe. The new 'Stang gets deeper lows when you switch to the Precision pickup . It can resemble a Jazz twang with the middle position . I like my Sonic Blue Mustang PJ.