Why become a member? ×

Hooking 2 amps together - AER content

Tubster

Had an outdoor gig the other day and fancied a bit more oomph on stage. Have an AER AMP THREE which covers most gigs very well but it’s 200 Watts, 4 ohms and has no provision for additional cab. However, it has a ton of connection opportunities on rear - 2 line outs (X,LR and jack), SEND, RETURN, SUB OUT. I have Aguilar th500 and 2x Bergs and thought I’d try to hook the 2 together. Has anyone had experience with such a configuration? What’s best way to hook them together?

I know the AER controls inside out and wanted to continue using it as the pre rather than use the Aguilar set up which I find lacks tonal weight alone.

I went with line out and it was ok but probably a mismatch on input impedance.

Any help much appreciated.

Where did you connect the AER "line out" to, on the Tone Hammer: the "input" or the "return"?

"Return" is probably the correct one, as that will be expecting a line level signal, which will then go straight to the power amp section, bypassing the pre-amp section (the drive, gain, and eq).

• 4 months later...

A few years ago I ran 2 Aguilar TH500's into 2 Berg 112's and a Berg 212. Created a magnificent sound.

The amps were daisy chained via send/return. The preamp on the first amp drives both power sections.

You'd have to use a split lead or A/B box if you wanted to run both preamps.