Why become a member? ×

Defretting my Squire - thoughts please

peanut

I have a Squire P which is very nice, has a reprofiled neck and sounds good but never gets used as my Status Grooves are used in preference.

With a second hand value of about 60-80 pounds it's hardly worth the hassle of selling so I've been thinking of converting it to a lined fretless.

My questions are;

Is this a simple (ish) job I could do myself and if so what is the process? It would probably cost more than the bass to get a luthier to do the job.

many thanks

Peanut

Guest subaudio

[quote name='peanut' post='33431' date='Jul 18 2007, 08:47 AM']I have a Squire P which is very nice, has a reprofiled neck and sounds good but never gets used as my Status Grooves are used in preference.

With a second hand value of about 60-80 pounds it's hardly worth the hassle of selling so I've been thinking of converting it to a lined fretless.

My questions are;

Is this a simple (ish) job I could do myself and if so what is the process? It would probably cost more than the bass to get a luthier to do the job.

many thanks

Peanut[/quote]

Hi Peanut, rather than defret the existing neck, would it be worth getting a fretless neck, for instance the Warmouth stuff as its a standard P type it should just bolt straight on, I dont know how much these are but I know a guitarist who put together a very nice strat from replacement parts and saved a fortune, you can always refit the fretted neck later?

Seeing as it's a cheap Squire, unless it's got a REALLY nice playing neck (ie, all the frets are peeerrfect, no buzzing at all on a really low action etc), I'd probably defret it if I was so inclined, especially if I've got other fretted basses I prefer to play.

Hi Buzz,

The Squire actually ahs a very nice neck, no fret buzz at all. However as you say I have other basses I prefer to play.

I like the idea of having a fretless to experiment with, even though I'm far from an accomplished player.

The only thing I'm not sure about having followed Steve_K's advice and looking at tutorials online (doen't seem to be that difficult) is radiusing the neck.

Would a fretless benefit from a slit radius or a more pronounced one? Where does one buy the radius blocks?