Why become a member? ×

pa bass bins reshape

owen3371

hi all,my band at the moment usea peavey hisys3 15" bass bins as part of our pa,only trouble is in narrow bars we have a space issue what i was thinking was that i could reshape the bins so that the 2 x15" speakers are on top of each other as opposed to side by side? would that setup affect the bass quality? im quite handy at woodwork and i have plenty of 1/2" mdf!

If you hunt around, there's a thread about the merits of 2x10's vs 2x12, which goes rather into detail of how vertical speaker alignment is MUCH MUCH more efficient at dispercing the sound and will sound better on stage.

I suspect it'l be the same for 1x15's if you stack 'em.

Drop a PM to BillFitzmaurice and AlexCalber I think.

Also look at www.billfitzmaurice.com and it's forums, there's a wealth of information there.

Its not quite as simple as hacking the existing carcass around a bit and then expecting them to work as well as they do now.

Probably best to either use the in'ards to build a pair of Bill Fitzmaurices designs or design your own cabs using something like WinISD. That way you can keep the original boxes and either sell them empty or put the drivers back and sell them as working units when you decide to upgrade.

Personally, I'd recommend you just sell the Peaveys and buy some Mackies.....

Like Buzz said: Bill Fitzmaurice and Alex Claber will give you chapter and verse on this, but basicly it's a VERY BAD IDEA. :)

MDF may or may not sound better than chipboard, but one thing's certain: it would weigh a TON. Also, you can't just re-configure cabs to make them a more convenient size/shape. Do that and you'll throw all their acoustic design parameters into a mincer. Unless you work to a proper design and use something light and strong like spruce ply, you're just going to end up with a pair of very heavy honk-boxes that will sound like s**t and have zero re-sale value.

Re. your reply to bass_ferret: [i]"I would turn them on their side but there's no carpet on the arse of them!"[/i] - well there's your answer straight off: buy some carpet and some glue (Blue Aran do both, I believe), and turn them on their side. Problem solved! :huh:

Edited by Oxblood

[quote name='Oxblood' post='34215' date='Jul 19 2007, 05:05 PM']Like Buzz said: Bill Fitzmaurice and Alex Claber will give you chapter and verse on this, but basicly it's a VERY BAD IDEA. :)

MDF may or may not sound better than chipboard, but one thing's certain: it would weigh a TON. Also, you can't just re-configure cabs to make them a more convenient size/shape. Do that and you'll throw all their acoustic design parameters into a mincer. Unless you work to a proper design and use something light and strong like spruce ply, you're just going to end up with a pair of very heavy honk-boxes that will sound like s**t and have zero re-sale value.

Re. your reply to bass_ferret: [i]"I would turn them on their side but there's no carpet on the arse of them!"[/i] - well there's your answer straight off: buy some carpet and some glue (Blue Aran do both, I believe), and turn them on their side. Problem solved! :huh:[/quote]
yeah your right i,ll turn em on their side :huh: and buy some carpet cheaper option many thanks for all your advice! :huh: